DANA ALLEN KNUPPENBURG FAMILY
OF NORTH DAKOTA AND WASHINGTON
Updated May 22, 2017
Eliza Ann (1847-1925) > 7 Children
Damon A. (1848-1930) > 1 Child
Charles E. (1852-1918) > 5 Children
James A. (1855-1923) > 1 Child
Mary Jane (1856-1933) > 2 Children
John (1860-1883) > 2 Children
Martha Ethleen (1862-1906) > 4 Children
Myron Newton (1869-1936) > 3 Children
Dana Allen Knuppenburg also known as "Dany" was born 3 April 1823 in Forkston Township, Wyoming County, PA and died 31 March 1903 in Custer, Whatcom County, Washington. Dana married Laura STEVENS, daughter of Damon Stevens and Cynthia (or Syntha) Taylor, on 4 October 1846 in Eaton Township, Wyoming County, PA. Laura was born 25 June 1824 in Windham Township, Wyoming County, PA and died 26 September 1906 in Whatcom County, Washington. Dana and Laura are buried in Enterprise Cemetery, Belllingham, Whatcom County, Washington.
Dana and Laura were living in Burlington Township, Bradford County, PA in 1850, in Tioga County in 1860 and 1870. In 1875, Dana and his family migrated from Lake Carey, Wyoming County, PA to the Dakota Territory. Other families including the Herrick and Allen families also moved. They traveled by train and settled near Barrie Township (near Wahpeton, North Dakota). Land claims were filed for Dana and his sons. There they built a home in 1879 out of oak logs with four windows and one door and lived for 5 years. They furnished the house with many items secured from the old fort at Abercrombie, North Dakota when it was disbanded. D.A. Knuppenburg was the first County Commissioner to serve from the area. About 1889, Dana and Laura moved to the state of Washington along with their sons, James and Charles.
The 1900 census for Woodland, Whatcom County, Washington listed Dana A. Knuppenburg with his wife, Laura living with their son, Charles and his family. The census indicates that Laura had given birth to 13 children of which 7 were alive at that time.
ELIZA ANN KNUPPENBURG (1847-1925)
Eliza Ann was born 11 August 1847 in Susquehanna County, PA and died April 1925 in Eagle Township, Richland County, North Dakota She married Benjamin Franklin HERRICK, son of Edward Herrick and Lucy A. Grinolds, on 1 January 1867 in Eaton Township, Wyoming County, PA. "Frank" Herrick was born 16 April 1843 in Tioga County, PA and died sometime between 1910 and 1920 in Eagle Township, Richland County, North Dakota.
Frank served in the PA volunteer infantry under General McClellan during the Civil War. At the end of his enlistment, he enlisted with the New York Veteran Cavalry and was with Sherman on his "march to the sea."
Eliza with her husband, Frank, were the first of her family to move to the Dakota Territory in 1870 when the Herrick family migrated. They homesteaded about 3 miles north of Abercrombie, North Dakota. Eliza was one of the first two teachers in Richland County, North Dakota with the other being her sister-in-law, Georgia Heath Knuppenburg. Eliza and Frank had eight children born in Dakota but only two lived to adulthood. Frank and Eliza's other children died in diphtheria epidemics prior to 1880 including Edward Dana Herrick (born about 1871), Emma Lucy Herrick (born about 1873), Anna Laurie Herrick (born about 1878), W. Benjamin Franklin Herrick (born about 1880) and Charlotte May Herrrick (born September 1880).
1. John Smith Herrick was born 26 July 1875 in North Dakota and died sometime after the 1930 census. He seemingly never married because he was 54 and single in that census. He lived and worked on the family farm.
2. Albert Galenton Herrick was born 19 November 1886 in Abercrombie, North Dakota and died 1 December 1970 in Richland County, North Dakota. He married Anna Caroline MERRRICK on 28 November 1912 in Kent, MN. Ann was born 5 January 1885 in Kent, Minnesota and died sometime after the 1930 census. They had six children all born in Richland County, North Dakota.
a. James A. Herrick born about 1914.
b. Marion Herrick born about 1915.
c. Edward A. Herrick born 30 October 1916 in Richland County, ND and died there on 12 September 2001. He married Elaine R. [maiden name unknown] who was born 5 December 1916 and died 26 February 2005 in Richland County, ND.
d. Ward J. Herrick born 27 February 1919 in Richland County, ND and died January 1988.
e. Wayne Franklin Herrick born about 1925.
f. Joyce A. Herrick born about 1927.
DAMON A. KNUPPENBURG (1848-1930)
Damon A. was born September 1848 in Bradford County, Pennsylvania. and died 19 February 1937 in Ft. Pierce, Florida. Damon married Frances M. FISH, daughter of Orin Fish and Mary Ann Jennings, on 17 January 1878 in Bradford County, Pennsylvania. Frances (known as Frankie) was born August 1855 in Pennsylvania and died sometime between 1930 and 1936. This couple remained in Pennsylvania and was living with Orrin Fish in the 1900 and 1910 censuses of Wyoming County, PA. In the 1920 census for Wyalusing, Bradford County, PA, Damon A. (age 70) and Francis (age 64) were listed. They are buried in Sunnyside Cemetery, Tunkhannock, Wyoming County, PA. They had one daughter.
1. Grace Merle Knuppenburg was born 18 July 1881 in Lemon Township, Wyoming County, PA and died 9 July 1931 in Washington, DC. She is buried in Sunnyside Cemetery, Wyoming County, PA. She was a school teacher. She married Linn Clark DRAKE, son of Frank F. and Effie Drake, on 18 June 1909 in Wyoming County, PA. He was born 24 August 1879 in Sullivan County, PA. Linn was the Executive Director of the Boy Scouts of America organization in Washington, DC. Grace and Linn had a daughter named Beth M. Drake (born about 1921 in Washington, DC). In the 1930 census for Washington, DC, Damon (age 81) and Frances (age 73) were living with their daughter, Grace (age 48), and her husband, Linn (age 50), and their daughter, Beth (age 9). Linn Clark Drake remarried after the death of Grace.
CHARLES ELBA KNUPPENBURG (1852-1918)
Charles Elba Knuppenburg was born in May 1852 in Bradford County, Pennsylvania and died 21 August 1918 in Seattle, King County, Washington. Charles married Mary E. BAKER, daughter of Samuel A. Baker and Juliette Elliott, 22 June 1875 in Steuben County, NY. Mary Baker was born about 1856 in Tioga County, Pennsylvania and died about 1890-1891. Her parents were both born in New York state. It seems likely that Mary Baker died in North Dakota since no burial records have been found for her in Washington State.
Charles remarried about 1897 to Mary Anna SEXTON, daughter of William Saxton. She was born 5 September 1848 in England and arrived in this country in 1854. Mary died 22 March 1913 in Bellingham, Whatcom County, Washington. The 1900 census for Whatcom County, Washington indicates that Charles was married to his second wife only three years and that she had no children. Charles Knuppenburg and his second wife, Mary A. Knuppenburg are buried in Enterprise Cemetery, Bellingham, Whatcom County, Washington. However, it seems that Mary A. Knuppenburg is buried next to her first husband, Charles Crew. (1828-1895)
Charles Knuppenburg migrated with his family to the Dakota Territory in 1878 with his parents. Eventually this family moved on to Washington where he was listed in an 1892 directory for Whatcom County, Washington.
Charles and his first wife, Mary E. Baker, had five children.
1. Samuel Dana Knuppenburg known as "Sam" was born 13 November 1876 in Lawrenceville Township, Tioga County, Pennsylvania. In the 1880 census, he was listed as 3 years of age. It seems likely that he died young.
2. Frederick Niles Knuppenburg was born 3 February 1878 in Steuben County, New York and died 31 October 1960 in Bellingham, Whatcom County, Washington. The 1880 census lists him as Frederick N., one year of age and born in New York. He married Mae Belle BRANNIAN, daughter of James Thomas Brannian and Anna Fleming, on 10 October 1906 in Whatcom County, WA. Mae was born 4 February 1885 in Iowa and died 15 July 1959 in Bellingham, Whatcom County, Washington. Fred and Mae are buried in Enterprise Cemetery, Whatcom County, Washington. They had three children.
a. Infant Knuppenburg was born 23 April 1907 in Whatcom County and died at one day of age on the 24th. This child was buried in Bayview Cemetery, Whatcom County, Washington.
b. Bernice M. Knuppenburg was born 28 January 1909 in Whatcom County, Washington and died 14 November 1920 in Whatcom County, Washington. She is buried in Bayview Cemetery.
c. Dorothy Lee Knuppenburg was born 20 August 1911 in Bellingham, Whatcom County Washington and died 20 October 1989 in Olympia, Thurston County, Washington. She first married Robert J. ACKERLEY on 10 December 1934 in Pierce County, Washington. Robert was born about 1911 in Idaho. They were living in San Francisco California in the 1940 census. This marriage ended in divorce. Later she married a Mr. HURLBURT and was still living in San Francisco in 1960 when her father died.
3. Jesse Lee Knuppenberg was born 27 February 1881 in Richland, North Dakota and died 13 August 1965 in Whatcom County, Washington. He married Beda Marie HAWKINS on 14 November 1906 in Whatcom County, Washington. Beda was born 4 October 1881 in Sweden and died 21 December 1964 in Whatcom County, Washington. They are buried in Enterprise Cemetery, Whatcom County, Washington. They had three children.
a. Cora Cecelia Knuppenberg was born 10 April 1909 in Whatcom County, Washington and died 5 November 2000 in Bellingham, Washington. Cora Cecelia first married Gordon C. SMITH, son of Herbert J. Smith, on 7 June 1930 in Whatcom County, Washington. Gordon was born about 1906 in England. This marriage ended in divorce. They had a child. Cora Cecelia later married Frederick Charles SCHLIEP, son of William J. Schliep and Elizabeth Stewart. Frederick was born 17 April 1919 in Washington and died 4 August 1984 in Whatcom County, Washington.
Gordon Kingsford Smith, the son of Cora Cecelia Knuppenberg and Gordon C. Smith was born 14 April 1931 in Whatcom County, Washington and died 23 June 1994 in California. In the 1940 census, Gordon K. Smith was 8 years of age living with his divorced father and his grandfather, Herbert J. Smith in Whatcom County, Washington.
b. An infant son was born 20 January 1911 in Whatcom County, Washington but did not survive.
c. John E. Knuppenburg known as "Jack" was born 23 February 1914 in Whatcom County, Washington and died 28 October 1996 in Honolulu, Hawaii. Jack was married to Dorothy B. [maiden name unknown]. Jack later married Gladys [last name unknown] who was born 24 January 1912 in Washington and died 6 February 1998 in Honolulu, Hawaii. Jack Knuppenburg served during World War II with the Army Air Force.
Fred Knuppenburg & Lee Knuppenburg, Gas Station Owners
1928, Bellingham, Washington
Lee Knuppenburg's Daughter: Cora Cecilia Kuppenburg
1928, Bellingham, Washington
4. Cora Ellen Knuppenburg was born 16 December 1883 in Richland, Dakota Territory [North Dakota] and died 31 December 1972 in Thurston County, Washington. She married Clinton Byron KNOX, son of J.D. and Clara Francis Knox, on 21 January 1903 in King County, Washington. Clinton was born 14 October 1876 in Kansas and died 19 October 1964 in Olympia, Thurston County, Washington. They had three children.
a. Stanley K. Knox was born 29 January 1904 in Thurston County, Washington and died 6 January 1986 Thurston County, Washington. He married Thelma Orpah COLE, daughter of Bayliss and Mary Kathryn COLE, on 21 May 1927. Thelma was born 3 December 1904 in Trout Lake, Washington and died at the age of 106 on 26 August 2011 in Portland, Oregon. They had 3 children.
b. Jerome Niles Knox (known as Jerry) was born 21 August 1910 in Lewis County, Washington and died 24 January 2011 in Lacey, Washington. He married Margaret Lorraine HARRIS who was born 29 July 1919 and died 8 August 2006. They had four children.
c. Winifred Knox was born 10 June 1913 in Thurston County, WA.
5. Lora Etta Knuppenburg was born 3 November 1887 in Richland, North Dakota and died 26 November 1971 in Bremerton, Kitsap County, Washington. She married Frederick Franklin HOWERTON on 28 February 1906 in California. Fred was born January 1876 in Moden, Missouri and died 29 December 1940 in California where he is buried in Oceanview Cemetery in San Diego County, California. This marriage ended in divorce sometime in the 1930's. This couple had eight children.
a. Geneva M. Howerton was born 30 January 1907 in California and died March 1995 in Bremerton, Washington. She married Earl J. PICKERING on 25 June 1936 in Kitsap County, Washington. Earl was born 1 April 1895 in Iowa and died March 1979 in Kitsap County, Washington. Geneva was his second wife. together they had one child.
b. Frederick Franklin Howerton [Jr.] was born 2 August 1909 in California and died 5 March 1968 in Kitsap County, Washington.
c. Jesse L. Howerton was born 24 December 1912 in Washington and died 21 November 1993 in Washington.
d. Anita Maud Howerton was born 18 April 1914 in Washington and died 27 November 1989 in Kitsap County, Washington. She married Edward C. SCHNECKLOTH who was born 27 August 1917 and died 16 January 1990 in Kitsap County, Washington.
e. Albert Eugene Howerton was born 28 December 1916 in Washington and died 1 February 1988 Snohomish County, Washington.
f. Harold Theodore Howerton known as "Ted" was born 18 January 1921 in Kitsap County, Washington and died January 1985 in Kitsap County, Washington. He married Gladys CORBIT on 27 March 1960 in Kitsap County, Washington and later married Ruby Irene ADAMS on 7 December 1968 in Kitsap County, Washington.
g. Ernest Franklin Howerton known as "Ernie" was born 18 April 1925 in Kitsap County, Washington and died there 10 October 2002 in Kitsap County, Washington. He married Dorothy G. PASCHALL on 10 October 1981. Dorothy was the daughter of Ray Paschal and Lela Kate Riley. Dorothy was born 12 February 1925 in Missouri and died 9 April 2012 in Bremerton, Kitsap County, Washington.
h. Ruth Howerton was born 3 September 1927 in Kitsap County, Washington and died 26 September 2003 in Chanute, Neosha County, Kansas. She married a Mr. SMITH.
JAMES A. KNUPPENBURG (1855-1923)
James A. was born 13 June 1855 in Wyoming County, PA and died 3 August 1923 in Tioga County, PA. He married Georgianna Cora HEATH known as "Georgia", daughter of Otis Robie Heath and Agnes Priscilla Stevens, on 3 August 1879 in Abercrombie, North Dakota. Georgia was born 26 August 1860 in Elk River, Minnesota. She died 4 August 1950 in Dawson, Richardson County, Nebraska. James migrated to North Dakota with his parents in 1875 where he met his wife, Georgia. Together they later migrated to Washington in 1889 and lived in Seattle, Blaine and Yakima before returning to live in Tioga County, PA in 1907. The 1910 census indicates they were boarders in Wyoming County, PA. After James died in 1923, Georgia moved out to Dawson, Nebraska to live with her daughter Agnes "Maude" Knuppenburg Allen. James and Georgia are buried at Evergreen Cemetery, Tioga County, PA.
James A. Knuppenburg
[photo graciously provided by Mary Jo Allen]
James Knuppenburg's Home
1. Agnes Maude Knuppenburg (known as Maude) was born 18 August 1880 in Barrie, North Dakota and died January 29, 1956 in Dawson, Richardson County, Nebraska. She married Clarence Luzerne ALLEN, son of Rollin Burdell Allen and Laura Marie Jennings, on 10 December 1903 in Yakima, Washington where he was an attorney. He was born 28 February 1875 in Richardson County, Nebraska and died there 26 January 1947. This couple is buried in Heim Cemetery, Dawson, Richardson County, Nebraska. Between 1905 and 1910, they moved to the Allen farm in Dawson, Nebraska. They had four children.
a. Katherine Heath Allen was born 19 November 1905 in Yakima, Washington and died 17 January 1994 in Placer County, California. She married Walter Emmett STONE (known as Emmett) who was born 27 November 1904 in California and died 20 September 1986 in San Francisco, California. They had 4 children: James Emmett Stone, Barbara Jean Stone, Mary Katherine Stone and Alice Carolyn Stone.
b. James Rollin Allen was born 14 November 1914 in Dawson, Nebraska and died 5 July 1978 in Harris County, Texas.
c. Robert J. Allen was born about 1915 in Dawson, Nebraska.
d. Arthur Allen was born 23 April 1921 in Dawson, Richardson County, Nebraska and died 14 March 1991 in Houston, Texas. He married Janelle [maiden name unknown].
MARY JANE KNUPPENBURG (1856-1933)
Mary Jane was born 15 March 1856 n Binghamton, New York and died 7 November 1933 in Townsend, New Castle County, Delaware. She married Augustus NILES, MD, son of Augustus E. Niles and Belinda Bridgeman, in 11 April 1875 in Tioga County, PA. Augustus was born 10 November 1853 in Tioga County, PA and died 1906 in Tioga County, PA. This couple is buried in the Wellsboro Cemetery in Tioga County, PA. Dr. Niles graduated from Bennett Medical College in Chicago in 1875 and practiced medicine in Tioga County, PA. They had two sons.
1. Augustus Niles, Jr. was born May 1877 in Tioga County, PA and died 1904 in Tioga County, PA. He is buried in Wellsboro Cemetery. He married Louisa WRIGHT about 1898. Louisa was born June 1880 in Pennsylvania. They had two daughters.
a. Catherine Morris Niles was born 24 January 1901 in Cass County, Minnesota and died 8 March 1988 in Riverside County, California. She married Harold Harding HAMPTON about 1926. He was born 2 May 1899 in Pennsylvania and died 21 September 1987 in Riverside County, California. They had two daughters: Jean L. Hampton and Elizabeth Hampton. In the 1930s, this family was living in Montour Falls, New York.
b. Ernestine M. Niles was born 5 July 1902 in Tioga County, PA and died 15 January 1975 in Riverside, California. She married Leroy E. TRAFFORD about 1923. He was born 12 February 1899 in Pennsylvania and died 21 November 1974 in Riverside County, California. In the 1930s, this couple was living in Cleveland, Ohio.
2. Jerome Dana Niles, MD was born 28 February 1884 in Tioga County, PA and died 18 January 1963. He married Loretta M. [maiden name unknown] about 1907. Loretta was born 8 December 1888 in New York and died March 1980 in New Castle County, Delaware. They had three children.
a. Child born about 1908 and did not survive until 1910.
b. Jerome Dana Niles, Jr. was born 7 October 1914 in New Castle County, Delaware and died 29 December 1998. He retired as a Brigadier General and worked in the field of public health. He is buried in Old St. Anne's Cemetery, Middletown, Delaware. He married and had a daughter.
c. John W. Niles was born December 1919 in New Castle County, Delaware. He seemingly died in an airplane accident just prior to his entry into World War II about 1942-1944.
HARRIETT E. KNUPPENBURG (1858-1876)
Harriett Knuppenburg known as Hattie was born about 1858 in New York and died 1876 in Nelson Township, Tioga County, PA. Although her parents and a number of her siblings moved to North Dakota in 1875, Hattie remained behind. Perhaps she lived with her older married sister, Mary, who married Dr. Niles in 1875. She died unmarried and at the age of 18.
JOHN KNUPPENBURG (1860-1883)
John was born May 1860 in Tioga County, Pennsylvania and died April 1883 in Barrie Township, Richland County, North Dakota from diphtheria. John married Laura Anginette "Nettie" HEATH, daughter of Otis Robie Heath and Agnes Priscilla STEVENS, about 1881 in North Dakota. Nettie was Georgie's sister, who married James Knuppenburg. Nettie was born 28 November 1864 in Elk River, Stearns County, Minnesota and moved to North Dakota at the age of 15. She died 1941 in Fergus Falls, Minnesota. Nettie became a young widow at the age of 19 with two small children. Nettie Heath Knuppenburg remarried to George Van Arnam and had four daughters with him: Kitty Van Arnam, Mable Van Arnam, Grace Van Arnam and Hazel Van Arnam (1890-1895).
Laura Anginette "Nettie" [Heath] Knuppenburg, John Knuppenburg, Agnes [Heath] Allen (Laura Anginette's sister)
Circa 1881, Dakota Territory
[photo graciously provided by Mary Jo Allen]
Virginia Laura Knuppenburg, Kitty Van Arnam, Arthur George Knuppenburg
[photo graciously provided by Mary Jo Allen]
Virginia Laura [Knuppenburg] Lee and George Otis Lee
1906, Richland County, North Carolina
[photo graciously provided by Mary Jo Allen]
1. Arthur George Knuppenburg was born 21 June 1882 in North Dakota and died 18 December 1901 in Richland County, North Dakota. He is buried in Barrie Cemetery, Richland County, North Dakota.
2. Virginia Laura Knuppenburg known as "Virgie" was born 5 July 1883 in Richland County, ND [three months after the death of her father] and died 26 September 1979 in Traverse County, Minnesota. Virginia married Richard N. LEE (son of Carrie) on 1 June 1905. Richard was born 14 August 1879 in Minnesota [both of his parents were born in Norway] and died 1938 in Wheaton, Traverse County, Minnesota. Virginia and Richard had four children. Virginia later married William "Earl" BANGLE, son of Joseph F. Bangle and Amanda Rosenkrantz, in 1948. Earl was born 29 May 1885 in Traverse County, Minnesota and died March 1967 in Traverse County, Minnesota.
a. George Otis Lee born 15 March 1906 in Richland County, North Dakota and died 14 January 1910 in Richland County, North Dakota of diphtheria.
b. Ramona Virginia Lee was born 6 October 1912 in Richland County, North Dakota and died 3 March 2009 in Sartell, Minnesota. She married S. Hubert "Hub" GROSLAND on 19 June 1938. Hub was born 22 April 1914 and died 12 June 1997 in Traverse County, Minnesota. They are buried in Wildwood Cemetery, Wheaton, MN. They had 3 children.
c. Grace M. Lee was born 31 October 1913 in Richland County, North Dakota and died 17 November 2005 in Illinois. She first married Gordon WILLIAMS on 24 June 1935. Gordon was born 30 November 1910 and died in 1975. They had four children. She then married Edward THENNES in 1988. Edward was born 25 June 1911 and died 30 January 1997 in Illinois.
d. Royce Newell Lee was born 18 April 1918 in Richland County, North Dakota and died 10 December 2000 in Brookings County, South Dakota. He married Mabel Ann DENEUI on 15 June 1941. Mabel was born 24 January 1920 in South Dakota and died 1 September 2008 in Brookings County, South Dakota. They had 2 children.
STANDING Ole Lee, George Van Arnam, Laura Anginete, "Nettie" Heath Knuppenburg Van Arnam, Otis Robie Heath
SITTING Richard Lee, Virginia Knuppenburg Lee, Maye Allen
CHILDREN Hazel Van Arnam, Grace Van Arnam
Virginia Laura Knuppenburg Lee's Wedding Day
1905, Walcott, North Dakota
MARTHA ETHLEEN KNUPPENBURG (1862-1906)
Martha Ethleen (known as Ethleen) was born January 1862 in Pennsylvania and died July 1906 in Lisbon, Ransom County, North Dakota. She married Walter Lehman WILLIAMSON on 14 February 1889 in Ransom County, North Dakota. Walter, son of Walter Martin Williamson and Mary Porter Raymond, was born 3 April 1859 in Appleton, Wisconsin and died sometime after 1930. He remarried about 1906 to Agnes P. [maiden name unknown] who was born about 1863 in Pennsylvania. He and Agnes were living in Lisbon, North Dakota in the 1930 census. The 1900 census indicated that Martha E. Williamson had given birth to four children of which two were alive in 1900. We have information on three of them as follows.
Martha Ethleen Knuppenburg
[photo graciously provided by Mary Jo Allen]
1. Walter K. Williamson was born 26 December 1889 in North Dakota. He died prior to 1900.
2. Mary E. Williamson was born May 1891 in Ransom County, North Dakota. In the 1920 census she was single and school teacher living with her father and stepmother.
3. Francis V. Williamson (known as Frank) was born 23 April 1892 in Ransom County, North Dakota and died April 1970 in San Mateo County, California. He first married Mona [maiden name unknown] who was born about 1893 in Michigan. This marriage ended in divorce. They had one child: Carolyn. Frank remarried to Jean C. [maiden name unknown] about 1927. Jean was born about 1902 in Wisconsin.
a. Carolyn Williamson was born about 1916 in Grand Forks County, North Dakota. In the 1930 census she was living with her remarried mother (Mona Schwam) and listed as a stepdaughter to Harrison Schwam.
MYRON NEWTON KNUPPENBURG (1869-1936)
Myron N. Knuppenburg was born 8 October 1869 in Pennsylvania and died 6 February 1936 in Pueblo County, Colorado. He was buried in Mountain View Cemetery, Pueblo County Colorado. He was listed in the Seattle, Washington city directory of 1888-1890 as owning a real estate business as well as the 1910 census for Seattle, WA. It seems that he moved to Pueblo, Colorado by 1920 and was still living there in the 1930 census.
Myron first married Cora M. HAWES (or Haus or Hawse), daughter of Oscar H. Hawes and Charity A. Watterman. Cora was born May 1870 in Minnesota (most likely Lyon County) and died 30 May 1912 in Seattle, King County, Washington. She is buried in Evergreen-Washelli Memorial Park in Seattle. Myron and Cora had three children.
Myron N. Knuppenburg married a second time about 1920 in Pueblo, Colorado to Norma NEUGEBAUER, daughter of Charles and Emma Neugebauer. Norma was born 19 July 1886 in Colorado and died 10 June 1967 in Pueblo, Colorado. She is buried in Mountain View Cemetery, Pueblo County, Colorado.
1. Helen Mae Knuppenburg was born April 1889 in Seattle, King County, Washington and died there on 24 August 1940. She married Herbert Rectanus LEIGH, Jr., son of Herbert R. Leigh, Sr. and Annie M. Rectanus, on 26 march 1913 in King County, Washington. Herbert was born 30 September 1889 in Illinois and died November 1974 in Seattle, King County, Washington. They had a daughter: Cora Jeanne Leigh (known as Jeannie) born 15 June 1918 in King County, Washington. Nothing further is known of her at this time.
2. Darle Hawse Knuppenburg was born 6 January 1890 in Spokane, Washington and died 14 June 1938 in Webster County, Iowa. He married Sophia ERICKSON, daughter of Peter and Mary Erickson (both born in Sweden), about 1917. Sophia was born 7 December 1894 in Otter Tail County, Minnesota and died 2 June 1938 in Webster County, Iowa. Darle and Sophia had two children. In the 1930 census for Mullan, Shoshone County, Idaho, the family consisted of Darle (age 40) and his wife Sophia (age 40) along with their son Harvey (age 10) and a daughter Irva (age 7). Darle was listed as a lead miner.
Darle, Sophia and thir daughter, Irva were in a terrible car accident when it colliedd with train in Webster County, Iowa. Sophia and Irva died at the scene and Darle was taken to a hospital in Ft. Dodge, Iowa where he died two days later. The three of them along with Helen M. [Knuppenburg] Leigh and Major Harvey Hawse Knuppenburg are noted together on a plaque in the mausoleum at Evergreen Washelli Cemetery, Seattle, Kings County, Washington.
a. Major Harvey Hawse Knuppenburg, a veteran of the Korean War, was born 27 November 1919 in Spokane, Washington and died 9 June 1962 in Marin County, California. Harvey Hawse Knuppenburg married Helen Jane NEWBURY, daughter of Joseph Benjamin Newbury and Ruth M. Reeves, on 23 May 1940 in Shoshone County, Idaho. Helen was born 8 December 1920 in Wallace, Idaho and died 5 January 2001 in Kalispell, Flathead, Montana. They had a daughter named Darle Knuppenburg.
b. Irva C. Knuppenburg was born 14 December 1922 in Benton, Washington and died 2 June 1938 in Webster County, Iowa in a car/train accident with her parents.
3. Carol Irva Knuppenburg was born 25 December 1899 in Spokane, Washington and died June 1967 in Pueblo, Colorado. She graduated from Centennial High School in Pueblo County, Colorado in 1919. Irva was single in 1934 when she returned from France to New York City. She was living in Seattle, Washington in the 1940 census and was a teacher in a public school.
ADELLA KNUPPENBURG (1866-1877)
Adella Knuppenburg also known as "Della" was born 1866 in Wyoming County, PA and died 4 June 1877 in Barrie Township, Richland County, North Dakota from diphtheria at the age of 11.
If you would like further information or have information to share regarding this family, please contact us at email@example.com
Kent Ward for sharing his research on the Dana Allen Knuppenburg/Laura Stevens family
Fred Pickering for his assistance with the Charles E. Knuppenburg family and Lora & Frederick Howerton family
Mary Jo Allen for sharing family photos
Charlotte Lee Smidt for her on-going interest and help
Susan Lorraine Knox for her interest and assistance as well
Susan Knox and Stephen Knox for sharing their family Bible information for the Lora and Frederick Howerton family