JONATHAN "JONAS" KNAPPENBERGER FAMILY
OF LEHIGH COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA
Updated March 25, 2016
Henrietta (1829-1913) > 4 Children
Caroline (1834-1865) > 6 Children
Jonathan (1836-1872) > 3 Children
Elizabeth "Eliza" (1838-1926) > 7 Children
William (1842-1924) > 2 Children KNAPP
JONATHAN "JONAS" KNAPPENBERGER (1801-1884)
Jonathan known as "Jonas" was born 11 February 1801 in Northampton County, PA and died 22 June 1884 in Lower Macungie Township, Lehigh County, PA. He married Elisabeth ARNER/AHNER, daughter of John and Catherine Arner/Ahner, on 27 November 1827. Elizabeth was born 3 August 1805 in Macungie Township, PA and died 3 April 1848 in Lehigh County, PA. This couple had nine children.
HENRY KNAPPENBERGER (c1828-?)
Henry was born about 1828 in Lehigh County, PA. In the 1880 census, Henry is listed as 52 years of age and a widower and living with his widowed father. We therefore know that he married. It seems that he married Sarah Ann HELD, daughter of Henry Held, on 6 January 1866 at Salem United Church of Christ in Allentown, PA. Sarah was born 1835 in Lower Macungie, Lehigh County, PA and died 30 July 1879 in Lehigh County, PA. She is buried in Salem United Church of Christ Cemetery. No children were born to this union.
HENRIETTA KNAPPENBERGER (1829-1913)
Henrietta "Harriet" also known as "Hattie" was born77 September 1829 in Lehigh County, PA and died 3 March 1913 in Lehigh County, PA. She married Peter SCHIFFERT on 17 January 1851. Peter was a soldier in the Civil War during 1862-1863 in Company A of the 176th Regiment of the Pennsylvania Militia. They are buried in Solomon's United Church of Christ Cemetery in Lehigh County, PA. Sometimes the Schiffert name is spelled with the "c". They had four children.
1. Acquilla Ellen Elizabeth Schiffert was born 12 June 1852 in Lehigh County, PA and died 7 May 1878 in Lehigh County, PA. She married James N. HERSH, son of Ephraim Hersh and Catherine Wetzel. James was born 19 August 1853 in Lehigh County, PA and died 3 April 1881 in Lehigh County, PA. They had two sons.
a. William Robert Hersh was born 26 November 1874 in Lehigh County, PA and died 3 September 1943 in Bethlehem, Northampton County, PA. After the death of his mother, he was adopted by his aunt and uncle: Maria Schiffert and Harrison Trapp [see below]. William married Matilda Ellen DELONG, daughter of Amandus DeLong and Maria Schneck, on 15 October 1898. Matilda was born 3 August 1878 in Lehigh County, PA and died 8 March 1961 in Bethlehem, Northampton County, PA. They and many of their children are buried in Fountain Hill Cemetery. They had ten children: Leon Charles Hersch (30 April 1899-20 January 1950); Leonard E. Hersch (14 October 1900-14 September 1905); Paul C. Hersch (1905-1957); infant daughter Hersch (10 May 1908-10 May 1908); Elda M. Hersch (16 May 1909-24 October 1988 in Colorado) who married Nicholas DeSTASIO (27 June 1908-5 December 1988); Harriet E. Hersch (13 January 1912-16 December 1971) who first married to Eugene H. MILLER and later a Mr. POLGAR; Gertrude Isabel Hersch (11 July 1914-24 December 1914); William R. Hersch, Jr. (4 April 1917-3 February 2006) who married Hallah RODGERS (19 July 1919-24 November 2005); Joseph E. Hersch (13 March 1919-10 September 1988) who is buried in Arlington National Cemetery; and John Jacob Hersch (24 January 1921-6 March 1922).
b. Edward Tildon Hersh was born 28 September 1876 in Lehigh County, PA. He was raised by his Schiffert grandparents until the death of his grandmother in 1913 when he then lived with his brother. According to his WWI draft registration, Edward had no hands. Edward seemingly never married. He eventually moved into the Northampton County Almshouse where he died 25 January 1955.
2. Maria E. Schiffert was born 24 July 1854 in Lehigh County, PA and died 15 July 1893 in Lehigh County, PA. She married Harrison J. TRAPP who was born 6 September 1854 in Pennsylvania and died 2 July 1899. They "adopted" their nephew, William Robert Hersch [see above], but he retained his birth name.
3. James Peter Shiffert was born 23 August 1861 in Lehigh County, PA and died 29 March 1870 in Lehigh County, PA. He is buried in Solomon's United Church of Christ Cemetery in Lehigh County, PA.
4. Amanda Schiffert was born 2 December 1865 and died 17 December 1886 in Lehigh County, PA. She is buried in Solomon's United Church of Christ Cemetery
SARAH KNAPPENBERGER (1832-?)
Sarah Knappenberger was born about 1832 in Lehigh County, PA. In the 1870 census, she is listed as 35 years of age, single, living with her widowed father.
CAROLINE KNAPPENBERGER (1834-1865)
Caroline was born 3 August 1834 and died 27 January 1865 in Lehigh County, PA. She married James Jacob MILLER, son of Seth Miller and Rebecca Fink, on 12 September 1852. James was born 7 June 1832 in Pennsylvania and died 30 March 1905. They are buried in Solomons United Church of Christ Cemetery, Macungie, Lehigh County, PA. Caroline and James had 6 children. After Caroline's death, James Miller remarried to Catherine [maiden name unknown] and had another child: Lewis (born about 1870).
1. Victor P. Miller was born 26 February 1853 and died 11 February 1907. He married Laura V. BARNDT or BERNDT who was born 11 July 1853 and died 11 July1924.
2. Elmira A. Miller was born 14 November 1854 and died 18 December 1922 in Ohio. She married Monroe A. EISENHARD who was born July 1852 and died 19 September 1912 in Ohio.
3. Oscar J. Miller was born 29 September 1857 and died 2 September 1913. He married Annie G. SCHMOYER who was born 17 July 1860 and died 10 April1930.
4. Emma E.R. Miller was born 22 April 1860 and died 13 November 1930. She married Llewellyn J. SCHMOYER who was born 9 May 1857 and died 16 November 1927.
5. Oliver Miller was born 26 June 1862 and died 24 June 1937. He married Mary GETZ.
6. Webster Miller was born 18 January 1865 and died 27 April 1945. He married Annie POH who was born 11 January 1867 and died 14 January 1925.
JONATHAN "JOHN" KNAPPENBERGER (1836-1872)
Jonathan known as "John" was born 25 August 1836 in Lehigh County, PA and died 15 October 1872 in Lehigh County, PA. He is buried in Zion Lehigh Evangelical Lutheran Church Cemetery, Alburtis, Lehigh County, PA. He married Elmina/Elvina LICK SCHMOYER, daughter of Samuel Lick and Abigail Brey, on 18 June 1865 in Allentown, Lehigh County, PA. Jonathan and Elmina had three children: Oliver Monroe, Clinton W. and Cora Elizabeth.
Elmina was married previously to Henry Schmoyer who died about 1864 and with whom she had two daughters: Ellen Jane Schmoyer (1858-1926) who married Sylvanus Washington Ritter, and Lilly A. Schmoyer (1862-1924) who is sometimes listed as Tilly Knappenberger. After Jonathan's death, Elmina married Thomas Dorward about 1874, and they had one daughter: Anne Clara Dorward (19 August 1878-28 May 1950) who married William Henry Wambold. Elmina is buried with Thomas in Emmaus Evangelical Cemetery, Lehigh County, PA.
1. Oliver Monroe Knappenberger, son of Jonathan and Elmina, was born 29 November 1865 in Lower Maungie Township, Lehigh County, PA and died 20 June 1949 in Northampton County, PA. After his father's death and his mother's remarriage, he was listed in the 1880 census as a boarder in another household. He married Elizabeth Ann "Ann Lizzie" BUZBY, daughter of William B. Buzby and Susan Bockius, who was born 15 April 1868 in Spring House, Montgomery County, PA and died in Philadelphia, PA on 27 August 1930. They had one daughter: Olive Susan Knappenberger (born 1 June 1892 in Bucksh County, PA and died October 1973 in Philadelphia, PA) who about 1921 married Anthony REZZONICO (born 2 June 1884 in Soragno, Switzerland; immigrated to the US in 1906; and died July 1973 in Philadelphia, PA) and had no children. After the death of Elizabeth Ann, Oliver married her older sister, Mary R. BUZBY, who was born 30 March 1865 in Spring House, Montgomery County, PA and died 5 October 1953 in Bucks County, PA. Oliver and both his wives are buried together at Hatboro Cemetery in Montgomery County, PA.
2. Clinton W. Knappenberger, son of Jonathan and Elmina, was born 7 August 1867 in Lehigh County, PA and died 4 November 1920 in Kokomo, Howard County, Indiana. After his father's death and his mother's remarriage, he was listed in the 1880 census as a boarder in another household. He first married Laura AUER, daughter of Monroe Auer and Lucinda Hafler, who was born 17 April 1872 in Quackertown, Bucks County, PA and died 6 October 1923 in Salisbury Township, Lehigh County, PA. This couple had three children but the marriage ended in divorce. Clinton moved to Madison Township, Buchanan County, Iowa where he was a farm laborer in the 1900 census which also indicated that he was divorced. Clinton married a second time on 27 August 1907 in Marion County, Indiana to Susan C. SANBORN who was born 10 May 1864 in New Hampshire and died sometime after 1920. His second son, Oliver, 8 years old and a boarder, was listed in the 1900 census and was living on a farm nearby his father. In the 1900 census for Allentown, Lehigh County, PA, Laura had remarried to Harvey Allen Hillegas in 1899 and her daughter with Clinton Knappenberger, Ellen, was living with them. Laura and Harvey Hillegas divorced, and Laura married a third time to John E. Miller. In the 1910 census for Allentown, Lehigh County, PA, Laura and John Miller have two children from her first marriage, Oliver and Ellen, living with them. Laura had no children with her other two husbands.
a. Frank Johnson Knappenberger, son of Clinton W. and Laura Knappenberger, was born 22 July 1887 in Lehigh County, PA and died 20 December 1928 in Lehigh County, PA. He is buried in Woodland Cemetery, Coopersburg, Lehigh County, PA. Frank married Lottie R. GREENAWALD(T), daughter of Llewellyn and Alice Greenawald(t), about 1907. Lottie was born February 1888 in Coopersburg, Lehigh County, PA and died in 1966. In 1910, Frank is married to Lottie and living in Lehigh County, PA. Frank and Lottie had eight children. Sometime after the 1930 census and Frank's death, Lottie married to Harvey Seibert. They are buried in Finland Mennonite Cemetery, Bucks County, PA.
Laura A. Knappenberger was born 3 April 1908 and died November 1981 in Montgomery County, PA. She married Thomas F. DIEHL about 1925. Thomas was born 1905 and died in 1945. They had 3 daughters. Laura later married Ambrose KULP and then married Stanley S. MOYER on 14 September 1963. Stanley was born 8 May 1912 and died February 1978. Laura and Stanley are buried in Keelys Church Cemetery, Montgomery County, PA.
Monroe John Knappenberger was born 30 January 1910 in Lehigh County, PA and died 31 December 1957 in Montgomery County, PA. He married Esther Gertrude KRAEMER who was born 20 October 1918 in Philadelphia, PA and died 27 March 2007 in Montgomery County, PA. They are buried in Finland Mennonite Church Cemetery. They had six children.
Edith J. Knappenberger was born 24 August 1911 and died July 1980. Edith first married Elmer TRUMBAUER on 24 November 1928. She later married Danie F.l TRUMP who was born 24 June 1902 and died June 1970.
Frank Llewellyn Knappenberger was born 30 November 1913 in Lehigh County, PA and died 3 December 1978 in Montgomery County, PA. He married Carrie E. WALTER who was born about 1926 in Montgomery County, PA. This marriage ended in divorce. They had three children of which two were given up for adoption.
Elmer T. Knappenberger was born 14 July 1916 in Lehigh County, PA and died 17 March 1971 in Bucks County, PA. He married Margaret KOPP, daughter of William Alfred Kopp and Flora Kramer. Margaret was born 30 May 1920 and died 25 January 1994. They had three children. Elmer fought in World War II.
Elnora Knappenberger was born about 1918 in Lehigh County, PA.
Frances Sarah Knappenberger was born 10 July 1920 in Lehigh County, PA and died 16 May 1999 in Montgomery County, PA. She married William Herman KRAEMER, Jr. who was born 16 October 1913 and died 27 April 1974. They had four children.
Alton Warren Knappenberger was born 31 December 1923 in Lehigh County, PA and died 9 June 2008 in Montgomery County, PA. Alton is buried at Arlington National Cemetery. Alton W. Knappenberger was the recipient of the Congressional Medal of Honor during World War II. In August 1944, Alton married Ruth E. EICHNER, daughter of Raymond L. and Myrtle J. Eichner, born in 1924/1925. This marriage ended in divorce. In 1947, he married Mary E. HOFF, who died in 1970 in Montgomery County, PA. Alton and Mary had six children including Paul W. Knappenberger (1915-2014) who served for fifteen years in the US Army during the Vietnam War era. On 29 August 1976, Alton married Hazel Marie HAMLIN, daughter of John Hamlin and Hazel Larson, who was born 8 May 1929 in Philadelphia, PA.
b. Oliver Monroe Knappenberger, son of Clinton W. and Laura Knappenberger, was born 14 March 1890 in Bucks County, PA and died 8 June 1960 in Allentown, Lehigh County, PA. He married about 1911 to Emily Nettie BARTHOLOMEW, daughter of George B. and Mamie H. Bartholomew of Northampton County, PA, who was born September 1894 in Pennsylvania and died after 1940. Emily and Oliver had four children. This marriage seemingly ended in divorce. [Later, Emily married Howard Mount.] Oliver married again to Stella M. SMITH who was born in 1908 and died 1971 and is is buried in Woodland Cemetery, Coopersburg, Lehigh County, PA.
Hilda Mae Knappenberger was born 20 October 1911 in Allentown, Lehigh County, PA and died 6 August 1956 in Allentown, PA. She married Hilton Harrison WOLFE, son of Alfred J. Wolfe and Elizabeth Sarah Johnson, on 5 August 1933 in Berks County, PA. Hilton was born 12 June 1908 and died 10 January 1997 in Lehigh County, PA. They are buried in Memorial Park Cemetery, Bethlehem, Northampton County, PA.
Clinton Alexander Knappenberger was born 28 October 1915 in Allentown, PA and died 19 February 1984 in Allentown, PA. He married Ruth M. SCHELL, daughter of Irwin Schell and Lilian Maicks. Ruth was born 30 November 1916 in Allentown, PA and died 5 November 1990 in Lehigh County, PA. They had two children. Their first child was James Clinton Knappenberger (14 October 1936-5 November 2014) who served in the Marines during the Korean War, married Ann Shirley Theresa Wasco, and had six daughters. Their second child was Carol L. Knappenberger who was an adopted child as well as her mother's niece.
Emily Laura Knappenberger was born 19 September 1917 in Allentown, PA and died 14 February 1983 in Lehigh County, PA. She married Randall Charles Robert SCHOENER, Sr. who was born 14 December 1913 and died April 1975 in Lehigh County, PA. They had seven children: Emilie Roberta Schoener, Quenned Lillian Schoener (1936-1994), Richard R. Schoener, Glenn A. Schoener, Sheila A. Schoener, Sherrie M. Schoener and Randall Schoener, Jr.
Ferne A. Knappenberger was born 30 January 1921 in Lehigh County, PA and died 15 November 2004 in Lehigh County, PA. She married Robert C. QUINN, son of Robert J. Quinn and Helen M. Gehris, in February 1946. Robert was born 27 November 1920 in Lehigh County, PA and died there on 10 July 1998. Ferne and Robert are buried in Northwood Cemetery. They had a daughter: Holly A. Quinn
c. Ellen M. Knappenberger, daughter of Clinton W. and Laura Knappenberger, was born 23 March 1894 in Lehigh County, PA and died 14 May 1981 in Lehigh County, PA. In the 1900 census for Allentown, PA, Ellen at age 7 was living with her mother, Laura who was remarried to Harvey Hillegas. In the 1910 census, Ellen was living with her brother, Oliver, and her mother, Laura, who was remarried to John Miller. In the 1920 census, Ellen was married and they are living with her mother, Laura Miller, and her stepfather, John Miller.
Ellen married Paul L. SHELLING, son of Erwin shelling and Caroline Ernst, who was born 11 June 1891 in Pennsylvania and died 25 January 1953 in Allentown, Lehigh County, PA. They had a son: Paul Louis Shelling Jr. (8 February 1914-6 October 1990). Ellen and Paul Sr. divorced, and Paul remarried and retained the raising of his son, Paul Jr. Ellen married again to Samuel S. KLINE. Ellen (nee Knappenberger) Shelling Kline and her mother, Laura (nee Auer) Knappenberger Hillegas Miller, are buried together at St. Marks Cemetery, Allentown, Lehigh County, PA.
3. Cora Knappenberger is the daughter of Jonathan and Elmina. In the 1880 census for South Whitehall Township, Lehigh County, PA, Cora, age 9 and born in PA, is living with her mother Elmina/Ellen Dorward, age 44, and her stepsister, Anne Dorward, age 2.
ELIZABETH ANN KNAPPENBERGER (1838-1926)
Elizabeth known as "Eliza" was born 25 December 1838 in Lehigh County, PA and died 10 June 1926 in Allentown, Lehigh County, PA. She married Jacob Henry SCHAEFFER, known as "Henry", son of John and Hettie Schaeffer. Henry was born 6 June 1840 in Lehigh County, PA and died 30 March 1908 in Lehigh County, PA. This family spells their name as Schaeffer and Schaffer. They are buried in Fairview Cemetery in Allentown, PA. They had seven children.
1. Oscar L. Schaffer was born 19 June 1863 in Lehigh County, PA and died 27 December 1943 in Philadelphia, PA He is buried in Fairview Cemetery, Allentown, PA. He was married to Elizabeth YERKEL [unsure about last name] who died prior to 1910 when, in the census, he is listed as widowed. No known children were born to this couple.
2. Elmira E. Schaeffer was born 17 August 1865 in Lehigh County, PA and died in Allentown, PA on 18 January 1949. She married John F. OTT in 1883. John was born 22 September 1864 in Pennsylvania and died 18 April 1936 in Allentown, PA. They are buried in Union-West End Cemetery, Allentown, Lehigh County, PA. They had a son.
a. Harold John Ott was born 21 June 1884 in Lehigh County, PA and died 18 November 1960 in Lehigh County, PA. Harold married Mabel Violetta GAUMER, daughter of John Gaumer and Alwilda Ziegler, on 10 May 1905. Mabel was born 10 October 1881 in Lehigh County, PA. They had six children: John Henry Ott (born 1906), Elmira Elizabeth Ott (1908-2008), Richard Jonas Ott (1910-1993), Glenn Joseph Ott (1912-2005), Adele Ott (1914-2008) and Robert Franklin Ott (1918-2007).
3. John J. Schaffer was born 1 February 1868 in Lehigh County, PA and died 16 December 1893. He is buried in Fairview Cemetery, Allentown, PA.
4. William Schaeffer was born about 1870 in Lehigh County, PA He married Sarah [maiden name unknown]. Nothing further known about this couple at this time.
5. James William "Sandy" Schaffer was born 6 March 1874 in Lehigh County, PA and died 16 January 1956. He had a son with Ida Matilda HOTTENSTEIN named John Henry Schaffer.
a. James William Schaffer was born in 1895 and died in 1954. He married Emma J. TORRENCE on 9 March 1896 in Lehigh County, PA. Emma was born in 1879 and died in 1940. They had two sons: Charles E. Schaffer (born 1897) and James Jonas Schaffer (1907-1961).
6. Erwin Jacob Schaffer was born 18 August 1876 in Lehigh County, PA and died 24 September 1958 in Lehigh County, PA. His first marriage [spouse name unknown] ended in divorce. He later married Beulah HARMONY in September 1920. Beulah was born 1885 in Pennsylvania and died 1964. They are buried in Greenwood Cemetery, Allentown, Lehigh County, PA.
7. Cora Schaffer was born 1 February 1879 in Lehigh County, PA and died 25 March 1968. She married Charles S. WEILER who was born 11 March 1873 and died 9 January 1943. They are buried in Grandview Cemetery, Allentown, Lehigh County, PA. They had a son: John William Weiler (7 July 1912 in Lehigh County, PA-11 February 1999).
WILLIAM KNAPPENBERGER (1842-1924)
William Knappenberger was born 20 February 1842 in Macungie Township, Lehigh County, PA and died 19 June 1924 in Trumbull County, Ohio. He shortened his name to KNAPP for a period of time. William married Martha PATTERSON about 1874. Martha was born about 1851 in Ohio and died prior to the 1900 census. In the 1870 census for Mahoning County, Ohio, William Knappenberger was 27 years of age working as a shoemaker and living with his uncle, Solomon Knappenberger. William Knapp was found in the 1880 census for Warren, Trumbull County, Ohio (36 years of age) with his wife, Martha (age 29), and two children. William was found in the 1900 census for Newton Falls, Trumbull County, Ohio as William Knapp and widowed. William was found in the 1910 census for Newton Falls, Trumbull County, Ohio listed as William Knappenberger (age 68, born in Pennsylvania, living alone). In 1920, he was living with his son as a widower at the age of 78.
1. Joseph Frank Knappenberger known as "Frank" or "J. Frank" shortened his name to Knapp on some occasions. Frank was born 10 January 1875 in Austintown, Mahoning County, Ohio. He married Flora W. [last name unknown] about 1908 in Ohio. Flora was born about 1879 in Ohio and died 21 October 1960 in Trumbull County, Ohio at the age of 81 and widowed. Her death certificate gives her name as Flora W. Knapp. Frank's World War I card lists his name as Joseph Frank Knappenberger. He is found in the 1910, 1920 and 1930 censuses for Warren, Trumbull County, Ohio with the full name of Knappenberger; but in the 1940 census, he is listed as Frank J. Knapp. Frank was a foreman for Packard Electric. No children were listed for Frank and Flora in the censuses.
2. Myra Knapp was born May 1878 in Warren, Trumbull County, Ohio. She is listed in the 1880 census as 2 years of age The 1900 census for Newton Falls, Trumbull County, Ohio lists Myra as born May 1878, 22 years of age and divorced. This census also indicates that she had been married 4 years and had no children. She is listed as living in her widowed father's household and as Myra Knappenberger..
JAMES KNAPPENBERGER (1845-1858)
James was born 7 March 1845 and died 28 December 1858 in Lehigh County, PA as a young boy.
James Knappenberger's tombstone
Lehigh Zion Church Cemetery, Alburtis, Lehigh County, PA
[photo graciously provided by Diane M. White of Lincoln, Nebraska]
MARIA A. KNAPPENBERGER (1846-1853)
Maria A. Knappenberger was born 22 July 1846 and died 8 August 1853 in Lehigh County, PA at the age of seven.
The information on this family came primarily from Dorothy Worman Swezak's book written in 1990.