HENRY KNAPPENBERGER FAMILY
OF LEHIGH COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA
Henry B. (1848-1924) > 8 Children
William L. (1849-1917)
Ellamanda (1851-?) > 4 Children
Emmalinda (1853-1931) > 6 Children
Louisa (1859-?) > 5 Children
Ida Rebecca (1860-?)
Oscar Marcus (1862-1931)
Henry Knappenberger, son of Johan Philip Knappenberger and Maria Barbara STETTLER, was born 2 October 1806 in Northampton County, PA (later to become Lehigh County in 1812) and died 28 September 1863 in Lehigh County, PA. He and his wife are buried in Lehigh Church Cemetery in Alburtis, Lehigh County, PA. Henry married Helena ILICK about 1847. She was the daughter of Samuel Ilick and Abigail Brey. Helena was born 3 September 1825 in PA and died 8 September 1899 in Lehigh County, PA. This couple had eight children.
HENRY B. KNAPPENBERGER (1848-1924)
Henry B. Knappenberger was born 4 July 1848 in Lower Macungie Township, Lehigh County, PA and died 3 June 1924 in Emmaus, Lehigh County, PA. He is buried in Northwood Cemetery in Emmaus, Lehigh County, PA. Henry married Martha A. BUTZ, daughter of Joshua Butz and Lydia Kemmerer, in 1868. Martha was born 3 May 1847 in PA and died 9 January 1930. She is buried in Northwood Cemetery, Emmaus, PA. They had seven children.
1. Oliver Llewellyn Knappenberger was born or christened 16 September 1869 in Lehigh County, PA and died 2 January 1947 in Allentown, Lehigh County, PA. Oliver was a butcher by trade. He married Martha Rebecca KNERR, daughter of George Knerr and Sarah L. Bastian, in 1890. Martha was born 13 December 1868 in Lehigh County, PA and died 18 April 1956 in Allentown, PA. They had 3 children.
a. Howard Oliver Knappenberger was born 12 July 1892 in Lehigh County, PA and died there on 21 November 1893. He is buried in Salem United Methodist Church Cemetery, Lehigh County, PA.
b. George Henry Knappenberger was born 8 October 1893 in Lehigh County, PA and died July 1977 in Lebanon County, PA. He worked for a dairy company as a driver. He married Mary A. DEPPE , daughter of Edward and Ida Deppe. She was born 8 October 1892 in Mauch Chunk, Carbon County, PA and died 1961 in New Jersey. This couple had two sons who served in World War II.
Walter Gordon Knappenberger was born 8 March 1916 in Allentown, Lehigh County, PA and died 27 June 2011 in Allentown, Lehigh County, PA.
Ralph James Knappenberger was born 17 February 1918 in Allentown, Lehigh County, PA and died 30 January 2001 in Interlachen Florida.
c. Mildred Martha Knappenberger was born 19 November 1900 in Lehigh County, PA and died October 1988 in Berks County, PA. She married Claude A.D. BUCK, son of Norman and Meta S. Buck, about 1921. Claude was born 4 March 1899 in Northampton County, PA and died April 1968 in Berks County, PA. They had a daughter, Lucille Buck (born 1923 in Virginia) and a son, Donald K. Buck (5 July 1925-6 September 2007).
2. Jane E. Knappenberger known as "Jennie" was born 8 November 1870 in Lehigh County, PA and died 27 December 1940 in Lehigh County, PA. She married Edward E. KEHM about 1892. Edward who was born 6 May 1870 in Lehigh County, PA and died 17 October 1941 in Lehigh County, PA. In the 1900 census this family was living next door to Charles M. and Mary A. Kehm who could possibly be Edward's parents. They had 2 children.
a. Minnie Kehm was born 13 April 1893 and died May 1976 in Lehigh County, PA. She married Norman C. LAUDENSLAGER, son of Peter J. Laudenslager and Lovina Dennis, about 1912. Norman was born 13 October 1889 and died 8 November 1946. Norman and Minnie had five children: Luther P. Laudenslager (1913-1962), Ruth V. Laudenslager (1914-2003), Lovinia J. Laudenslager (1916-1985), Burton E. Lauderslager (1923-1995), and Betty L. Laudenslager (1928-1998).
b. Arabella Kehm was born August 1895 in Lehigh County, PA.
3. Laura E. Knappenberger was born 1 February 1875 in Lehigh County, PA and died 14 April 1961. She married Daniel A. HENRY, son of William H. Henry and Sarah Catherine Rabenold, on 16 July 1896 in Allentown, PA. Daniel was born 18 December 1872 in Lehigh County, PA and died 22 November 1931. They had 10 children.
a. Charles William Henry was born 7 November 1899 and died 13 January 1966. He married Florence Bertha WEIDMAN who was born 12 May 1900 and died 14 March 1970. They had a daughter, Bertha Louraine Henry.
b. Ralph D. Henry was born 14 January 1901 and died 21 December 1912.
c. Edward C. Henry was born 3 February 1903 and died 2 December 1999. He married Hilda G. ROTHROCK who was born 10 March 1901 and died July 1985. They had a daughter, Lorraine L. Henry.
d. Stella S.L. Henry was born 23 April 1905 and died 14 June 1909.
e. Laura N. Henry was born about 1907. She married Elmer BEAHN. They had five children: Shirley A. Beahn (1937-2004), Burton Beahn, Betty Beahn, Loretta P. Beahn and Nancy C. Beahn.
f. Caroline M. Henry was born 9 February 1908 and died 3 December 1926.
g. Oliver F. Henry was born 10 June 1909 and died 18 July 1909.
h. Emma E. Henry was born 8 June 1910 and died 11 October 1999.
i. Robert S. Henry was born 12 March 1912 and died 19 January 1989.
j. Florence Henry was born 8 July 1914 and died 3 November 1964.
k. George M. Henry was born 5 December 1915 and died 18 May 1991.
4. Meda L.A. Knappenberger was born October 1877 in Lehigh County, PA and died 1967 in Bethlehem, Northampton County, PA. She married Charles SCHIFFERT, son of Jeremiah Schiffert, Jr. and Fayena, about 1897. Charles was born 24 October 1870 in Emmaus, Lehigh County, PA and died 1956 in Bethlehem, PA. Charles and Meda had 6 children.
a. Bessie M. Schiffert was born March 1897 and died 1950. She married a Mr. STOUDT and had a son, Paul L. Stoudt (19 September 1919-September 1977).
b. Beulah Edith Schiffert was born February 1900 and died in 1980.
c. Luella M. Schiffert was born 13 July 1904 and died 21 May 2002. She married Edward S. LUDWIG and had 2 daughters: Joyce A. Ludwig and Virginia Ludwig and a son, Donald E. Ludwig.
d. Paul J.H. Schiffert was born 13 November 1906 and died 21 December 1972.
e. Edith I. Schiffert was born 22 August 1910 and died 4 February 1984. She married Rudolph E. KRESH, Sr. who was born 19 March 1902 and died December 1966.
f. Kenneth C. Schiffert was born in 1921. He married Jean A. HESS and had two sons: Timothy A. Schiffert and Christopher D. Schiffert.
5. Leighton Francis Knappenberger was born 3t May 1880 in Lehigh County, PA and died 17 May 1949. He married Ellameda Stella known as "Meda" SHANKWEILER, daughter of Thomas "Jefferson" and Amelia F. Shankweiler. Meda was born 8 May 1885 and died 11 November 1956. Leighton was a house painter in Emmaus, PA. They had no children.
6. Harvey Henry Knappenberger was born 2 August 1881 in Lehigh County, PA and died 1954 in Emmaus, Lehigh County, PA. He first married Emma J. ZIEGLER about 1890. She was born 14 January 1860 and died 26 October 1921 in Emmaus, PA. Harvey then married Amanda J. [maiden name unknown] who was born about 1870. In the 1930 census, Harvey and Amanda were living in Emmaus, PA where Harvey worked in a silk mill. Also living with them was Amanda's son, Alfred J. Hufford, age 37. Harvey had no children. Harvey and Leighton, his brother, lived next door to each other in Emmaus, PA.
7. Elizabeth L. Knappenberger known as "Lizzie" was born February 1883 in Lehigh County, PA and died in 1934 in Northampton County, PA. She married Henry Tilghman KLAUGH, son of Peter Klaugh and Catherine Bollinger, about 1905. Henry was born 25 February 1881 in Allentown, Lehigh County, PA and died in 1943 in Northampton County, PA. In 1930, they were living in Bethlehem, PA. They had 9 children.
a. Charles H. Klaugh, Sr. was born 28 February 1908 in Lehigh County, PA and died May 1976 in Northampton County, PA. He married Mildred SCHNABEL who was born 1912 and died 1968. They had two children: Ellen M. Klaugh (1938-7 December 2000) and Charles H. Klaugh, Jr. (December 1939-15 November 1991).
b. Peter J. Klaugh was born March 1909 and died about 1960.
c. Robert M. Klaugh was born 25 December 1911 in Lehigh County, PA and died 11 July 1992 in Northampton County, PA. He married Anna T. CUNNINGHAM who was born 19 July 1915 in Northampton County, PA and died December 2000 in Northampton County, PA. They had a daughter: Patricia Klaugh.
d. William Raymond Klaugh, Sr. was born 9 November 1913 in Lehigh County, PA and died 30 November 1991 in Newport News, Virginia. He married Roberta Henrietta BURT who was born 21 April 1921 in Newport News, VA and died there in 7 December 1999. They had 3 children.
e. Ralph Paul Klaugh, Sr. was born 6 July 1916 in Bethlehem, PA and died 16 December 2006 in Allentown, PA. He married Kathryn May HOFFMAN who was born 19 May 1920 and died August 1990. They had 3 children.
f. Kathryn M. "Kitty" Klaugh was born 18 September 1919 in Lehigh County, PA and died there 30 September 2002. She married a Mr. Miller and John TORICK, Jr. (26 July 1922-2 September 2007) in May 1996.
g. Franklin Dempsey Klaugh was born 18 January 1921 in Lehigh County, PA and died September 1977 in Northampton County, PA. He married June CLEWELL, daughter of Robert Wesley Clewell Sr. and Elvira Davis. This marriage ended in divorce. They had 3 children.
h. Mary Perma Klaugh was born 1923. She married Harold A. BAILY (14 June 1920-12 August 2006). They had two daughters.
i. Dorothy M. Klaugh was born about 1925. She married John Milton BROPHY (3 march 1920-6 June 2002) on 15 June 1946. They had a son: Edwin Henry Brophy (9 May 1947-27 July 1961).
8. Ida Helena Knappenberger was born 15 August 1884 and died 3 September 1884 in Lehigh County, PA. She is buried in the Lehigh Church Cemetery.
WILLIAM L. KNAPPENBERGER (1849-1917)
William L. was born 22 October 1849 in Lehigh County, PA and died 26 August 1917 in Lehigh County, PA. In the 1910 census, William was 60 years old and living with his sister, Amanda, and her husband, Jacob Newmeyer. It seems likely that William never married. William was a painter by trade.
William L. Knappenberger's Gravemarker
Lehigh Zion Church Cemetery, Alburtis, Lehigh County, Pennsylvania
[photo graciously provided by Jay & Nancy Knappenberger]
ELLAMANDA J. KNAPPENBERGER (1851-?)
Ellamanda known as "Amanda" was born January 1851 in Lehigh County, PA. She married Jacob NEWMEYER or NEUMOYER who was born October 1846 in PA and died between 1920-1926. They had 4 children of which 2 survived in the 1900 census. We have information on only 3 children. In the 1900 census, this household also had William L. Knappenberger and Ida R. Knappenberger, both single, living with them.
1. Alice Newmeyer or Neumoyer was born about 1870 in Lehigh County, PA. She was 9 years of age in the 1880 census
2. Jacob Newmeyer was born about 1876 in Lehigh County, PA. He was 3 years of age in the 1880 census. We have not found him in the 1900 census.
3. Minnie Neumoyer was born June 1883 and was living with her parents at the age of 26 during the 1910 census and age 36 and single in the 1920 census for Macungie, Lehigh County, PA.
EMMALINDA S. KNAPPENBERGER (1853-1931)
Emmalinda known as "Malinda" was born 1853 in Lower Macungie Township, Lehigh County, PA and died 1931. She married Joseph FEINOUR [sometimes spelled FINER]. Joseph was born 1845 in PA and died 1910. This couple is buried in Hillside Cemetery, Roslyn, Montgomery County, PA. Joseph served with the 151st Pennsylvania Infantry during the Civil War. They had 6 children listed in the 1880 census of Emmaus, Lehigh County, PA.
1. Mary Feinour/Finer was born about 1871 in Lehigh County, PA.
2. Annie Feinour/Finer was born about 1872 in Lehigh County, PA.
3. William Feinour/Finer was born about 1874 in Lehigh County, PA.
4. Franklin J. Feinour/Finer was born 26 February 1876 in Lehigh County, PA.
5. Lizzie Feinour/Finer was born about 1878 in Lehigh County, PA.
6. Ida Feinour/Finer was born 1879 in Lehigh County, PA.
ELLEMINA KNAPPENBERGER (1856-?)
Ellemina known as "Ellen" was born about 1856 in Lehigh County, PA. She married Alfred BOOTH. Nothing further is known about this couple.
LOUISA H. KNAPPENBERGER (1859-?)
Louisa was born May 1859 in Lehigh County, PA and died between 1917 and 1924. She married Abraham "Cyrus" BITTING who was listed as a laborer and driver in the Allentown, PA directories of 1887-1890. Cyrus was born December 1848 in Pennsylvania. The 1900 census indicates that Louisa had given birth to five children of which four were living in 1900. We only have information on three of these children at this time.
1. Minnie M. Bitting was born May 1877 in Lehigh County, PA. She was 22 years of age, single and working as a silk mill weaver in the 1900 census.
2. Catharine Bitting was born in 1880 in Montgomery County, PA.
3. Thomas H. Bitting was born June 1882 in Pennsylvania. In the 1900 census, he is listed as 18 years of age, single and working as a porter.
IDA REBECCA KNAPPENBERGER (1860-?)
Ida was born April 1860 in Lower Macungie Township, Lehigh County, PA. In the 1900 census for Allentown, Lehigh County, PA, Ida R. Knappenberger is listed as 39 years of age and single living with her married sister, Amanda J. Newmeyer. In the 1920 and 1930 census for Philadelphia, she is listed as single and living at the Philadelphia Hospital for the Insane. She is buried at Lehigh Zion Church Cemetery in Alburtis, Lehigh County, PA.
Ida Rebecca Knappenberger's tombstone at Lehigh Zion Church Cemetery, Alburtis, Lehigh County, PA
[photo graciously provided by Diane M. White of Lincoln, Nebraska]
OSCAR MARCUS KNAPPENBERGER (1862-1931)
Oscar Marcus was born 4 April 1862 in Lehigh County, PA and died 21 May 1931 in Lehigh County, PA. He is buried near his parents in Lehigh Church Cemetery. Oscar was listed as laborer in Macungie, Lehigh County, PA in 1887 and seemingly never married. He lived with his niece, Jane "Jennie" Knappenberger Kehm, as a boarder in 1910 and was still living with his niece and her husband, Edward and Jane Kehm, in Emmaus, Lehigh County, PA in 1930, at the age of 67 and single. His occupation was butcher.
Oscar Marcus Knappenberger's tombstone at Lehigh Zion Church Cemetery, Alburtis, Lehigh County, PA
[photo graciously provided by Diane M. White of Lincoln, Nebraska]
If you have further information on this family, we would love to hear from you...reply to email@example.com.