MARIA "BARBARA" [KNAPPENBERGER] WALTHOUR FAMILY
George (1795-?) > 7 Children
Elisabeth (1796-?) > 1 Child
Maria Barbara (1798-c1838) > 5 Children
Susannah E. (1800-1872) > 5 Children
Sarah (1803- ?) > 6 Children
Nancy (1806-1890) > 7 Children
Esther (1808-1863) >7 Children
Hannah (c1815-1850) > 3 Children
Joseph (1816-1866) > 10 Children
Maria Barbara Knappenberger known as Barbara, daughter of Conrad, was born 15 September 1772 in Northampton County (later Lehigh County), PA and moved with her parents to Westmoreland County, PA about 1788. Some Lehigh County, PA records indicate her full name as Anna Barbara Knappenberger. She married Jacob WALTHOUR, son of George Jacob and Elizabeth Walthour about 1794, in Westmoreland County, PA. Jacob was born 23 January 1763 in Lancaster County, PA and died 8 January 1839 in North Huntington Township, Westmoreland County, PA and was buried in Brush Creek Cemetery. Barbara died 12 August 1854 in Hempfield Township, Westmoreland County, PA of a stroke and was also buried in Brush Creek cemetery. They had ten children.
The Walthour family history is an interesting one. The family headed by Johan Casper Waldhauer (1690-1766) immigrated from Broetzingen, Baden in 1744 by way of Holland on the ship "Two Brothers" that was waylaid by the Spaniards due to a war at that time. They later traveled to Georgia on the ship "Judith" out of Gosport, England and landed in Georgia in 1746. There they settled in Ebenezer, GA (now part of Effingham County, GA). They became known as "Salzburgers" which was a name given to all Germans in Georgia at that time although they were not from Austria. Two of Johan Casper Waldhauer's sons, Christopher Conrad and George Jacob, moved to eastern PA and lived in Lancaster County, PA by 1750. Two other brothers remained in Georgia --Jacob Casper Waldhauer whose family settled in Effingham County, GA and Andrew Walthour whose family settled in Liberty County, GA.
The two brothers who left Georgia and moved to PA where the family had originally intended to settle, Christopher Conrad and George Jacob, worked near Reading, Berks County for a time and then moved to Westmoreland County, PA about 1767 when they purchased 900 acres of land on a branch of Brush Creek. Christopher Conrad Walthour (1721-1802) built a fort named Fort Walthour and established a grist mill besides their farms. George Jacob Walthour (1723-1794) is the father of Jacob Walthour 1763-1839) who married Maria "Barbara" Knappenberger, daughter of Conrad Knappenberger. George Jacob Walthour along with his brother, Christopher Conrad Walthour, were Continental soldiers in the Revolutionary War from the Brush Creek area. These soldiers were to protect Fort Walthour in 1782. His brother, Christopher Conrad, had built Fort Walthour in Westmoreland County, PA as protection from Indian attacks. By the time of the Civil War, there were Walthours, Waldhours, Waldhauers and Waltowers who fought for the north and those who fought for the south. And after the Civil War, a number of slaves owned by George Washington Walthour of Liberty County, GA took the last name of Walthour. [Margaret "Peg" Stivenson Krecota did the research on George Jacob Walthour's Revolutionary War service and got him listed as such with the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR)].
Walthour Family Farm, Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania
Fort Walthour Historical Marker, Irwin, Pennsylvania
[both images graciously provided by Jerilyn Jeffreys McDowell of Slippery Rock, PA]
JOHN "GEORGE" WALTHOUR (1795-?)
George was born 11 May 1795 in Westmoreland County, PA and died sometime in the 1860's in McKeesport, Allegheny County, PA. George married Catherine Ann FRICK who was born about 1800 in McKeesport, Allegheny County, PA and died after the 1880 census in Allegheny County, PA. Her last years she lived with her youngest child, Elizabeth Walthour Campbell. They had seven children.
1. Jacob Walthour was born 5 May 1819 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 10 September 1880 in Westmoreland County, PA. He was a plasterer by trade. He married Lucinda Ann SMITH known as "Lucy" on 30 September 1842 in Westmoreland County, PA. Lucy was born about 1824 in PA and died 1871 in Westmoreland County, PA. Jacob and Lucy had 8 children.
a. William Webster Walthour born 21 February 1843 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 15 September 1926 in Westmoreland County, PA. He married Mary Jane KEENER who was born 11 February 1843 in PA and died 29 June 1930 in Westmoreland County, PA. This family is buried in Harrold's Cemetery. They had 10 children: Minnie E. Walthour (1864-1934) who married George PETERS (1862-1926), Willis Coy Walthour (24 April 1867-21 May 1893), Murry A. Walthour (1869-1923) who married Alice SILVIS (August 1874-1941), Charles William Walthour (14 February 1872-June 1967) who married Daisy E. HOLTZER (January 19874-1964), James Franklin Walthour (25 November 1874-1962) who married Clara L. HOLTZER (May 1877-December 1903) and Lucinda L. Baum (1877-December 1946), Emma May Walthour (2 February 1877-1963) who married A.M. ZUNDEL, Archie Dell Walthour (10 July 1879-1967) who married Mary A. HARROLD (1881-1946), Daisy Jean Walthour (died 1882), Calvin Dewalt Walthour (5 February 1882-January 1965) and Hattie Walthour (August 1887-1983) who married James JORDAN (1891-1971).
b. Catharine Ann Walthour was born 30 January 1845 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 27 April 1893 in Westmoreland County, PA. She married Jacob Walter KUNKLE, son of Johan "Paul" Kunkle and Sarah Long, on 7 November 1865. Jacob was born 1 September 1844 in North Huntingdon Township, Westmoreland County, PA and died 19 December 1915 in Westmoreland County, PA. They had 8 children: William Kunkle (December 1867), George Kunkle (January 1870), Mary M. Kunkle (July 1872), Willis Franklin Kunkle (September 1874), Hannah Etta Kunkle (March 1877), Jacob Walter Kunkle, Jr.. (13 October 1879- September 1965) and twin Joseph S. (13 October 1879 - 2 January 1939), and Sarah L. Kunkle (September 1882-1935)
c. George Walthour was born about 1847 in Westmoreland County, PA.
d. Elizabeth Walthour was born about 1849 in Westmoreland County, PA. She married John ROSE.
e. John Walthour was born December 1851 in Westmoreland County, PA. He married Mary KLINE who was born about 1860 in PA. By the 1880 census they had two sons: Samuel born about 1877 and William (born June 1879).
f. Henrietta Walthour was born 20 June 1856 in Westmoreland County, PA. She married Joseph SHOAF.
g. Jacob G. Walthour known as "Jack" was born 8 March 1859 in Westmoreland County, PA and died sometime after 1930 in Kansas. He married Carrie SMITH about 1883 in Kansas. Carrie was born March 1864 in Massachusetts and died between 1920 and 1930 in Crawford County, Kansas. They had five children: Charles F. Walthour (December 1883 Kansas), Nellie (November 1887 KS), Bessie Walthour (March 1894 KS), John Jacob Walthour (13 August 1897 PA) and Floyd Walthour (born about 1901 PA). This family moved back to PA for a time but then returned to Kansas.
h. Maria Meyer Walthour known as "Mary" was born 4 January 1862 in Westmoreland County, PA. She married William AUKERMAN.
i. Barbara Ann Walthour
2. John Walthour was born about 1823 in Westmoreland County, PA and died sometime after 1880 in Allegheny County, PA. He moved to McKeesport, Allegheny County, PA where he was a plasterer by trade. He married Ruth WATERS, daughter of Samuel and Nancy Waters. She was born about 1825 in PA. They had 5 children all born in McKeesport.
a. Mary E. Walthour was born September 1844.
b. Angeline Walthour was born about 1847.
c. Nancy J. Walthour was born about 1851.
d. Samuel Walthour was born September 1855 and married Anna PERRY who was born December 1859. They had 8 children: Laura V (born September 1879), John R. (born December 1880), Edna P (born February 1883), Anna L (born January 1886), Ruth M. (born February 1888), Mary J (born August 1891), Samuel (born 2 January 1894), Ralph (born September 1897).
e. Kate Walthour was born about 1857.
3. David Walthour was born about 1825 in Westmoreland County, PA. He married Susanna [maiden name unknown] who was born about 1826 in PA. They had four children:
a. Rosella Walthour was born about 1848 in PA.
b. Melzena Walthour who was born about 1851 in PA. She was single in the 1930 census living in McKeesport, Allegheny County, PA. She never married.
c. John F. Walthour was born about 1854 and died sometime before 1910 when his wife was listed as a widow. He married Mary A. ELLIOTT, daughter of Hezekiah and Isabell Elliott, about 1879. Mary was born about 1858 in PA and died after 1930 in East McKeesport, Allegheny County, PA. John and Mary had three children: Burton B. Walthour who was born in 1880 in McKeesport, PA and married Mildred COTTON (born about 1884). Camilla Walthour (1886 -1928) who married Judson Sutton ADAMS (1875-1912) in 1908. Camilla then married Colonel D. BENNETT (born about 1887). The third child of John and Mary was Eva Walthour who married George SCHNEIDENER. After the death of John Walthour, his widow, Mary, married a Mr. CURRY but was a widowed again by 1930.
d. Ida Walthour was born in 1860 in McKeesport, Allegheny County, PA but seemingly died young since she is not listed in the 1870 census.
4. Louis Walthour was born September 1829 in Westmoreland County, PA and died between 1900 and 1910 in McKeesport, Allegheny County, PA. Louis married Eliza Jane [maiden name unknown] about 1850. Eliza was born February 1830 in PA and died sometime after 1910. They had one child: Millie Walthour born about 1868 in Allegheny County, PA.
5. Lavinia Walthour was born about 1830 in Westmoreland County, PA. She is listed in the 1850 census as 19 years of age living with her parents and siblings in North Huntingtdon Township, Westmoreland County, PA.
6. Joseph Walter WALTOWER was born 29 December 1831 in Freeport, Armstrong County, PA and died 9 July 1927 in Versailles, Allegheny County, PA. Joseph was a Drummer Boy with the 63rd Regiment, PA Volunteer Infantry during the Civil War. He went in as a drummer boy and came out a Captain. His name is inscribed on the PA monument at Gettysburg. Joseph at some point changed the spelling of the last name to WALTOWER. He married Lydia Ann NEWELL on 8 July 1858 in McKeesport, PA. Lydia was born 10 July 1835 in Bedford County, PA and died 16 May 1905 in Versailles, Allegheny County, PA. Lydia and Joseph along with a number of their children and grandchildren are buried in Mt. Vernon Cemetery in Elizabeth Township, Allegheny County, PA. They had 6 children.
Joseph Walter Waltower, Circa 1912
presumably with his daughter Amelia Matilda Waltower Harrison (STANDING RIGHT)
and presumably with his granddaughter Lydia Bell Harrison Barrett (STANDING LEFT)
and presumably with his great grandniece Olive Marie Baldridge Wolf (ON KNEE)
[photo graciously provided by Walt Hadcock]
Joseph Waltower [85-95 years old] in a Memorial Day Parade, McKeesport, Versailles Township, Allegheny County, PA
Joseph, a Civil War veteran, is the drummer in the center. The drum is kept at the McKeesport Heritage Center.
[photo graciously provided by Walt Hadcock]
Joseph Waltower's gravestone, Mt. Vernon Cemetery, Elizabeth Township, Allegheny County, PA
[photo graciously provided by Jerilyn Jeffreys McDowell]
a. Anna Belle Waltower was born 6 December 1858 in McKeesport, PA and died 29 September 1938 in Allegheny County PA. She married Matthew "Fisher" KELLY in 1879. Fisher was born 19 December 1856 in Allegheny County, PA and died in McKeesport on 27 May 1917. They are buried in Mt. Vernon Cemetery. They had 7 children: 1) Lillie Joe Ann Kelly was born 30 March 1877 and died 12 June 1966. She married George Clarence BADDERS, Sr on 15 October 1896. George was born 11 June 1877 and died 20 May 1959. 2) Clifton L. Kelly was born 24 September 1879 and died 7 February 1958. He married Helen McLAUGHLIN (1885-1976). 3) Blanche Carlysle Kelly was born 30 August 1883 and died 12 July 1959. She married William Morris JEFFREYS on 5 April 1906. William was born 14 April 1882 and died 2 December 1950. 4) Calvin Emory Kelly was born 10 January 1885 and died 25 April 1941. He married Lillie Savannah SMITH who was born 26 August 1888 and died 6 May 1965. 5) Enoch B. Kelly, Sr was born 8 December 1886 and died 20 December 1975. He married Elizabeth A. BAUMGARTNER on 22 August 1912. Elizabeth was born 8 July 1884 and died 1959. 6) Anna Belle Kelly was born 3 February 1889 and died 6 December 1961. She married Rees David JEFFREYS on 15 December 1911. Rees was born 1 December 1883 and died 10 April 1946. 7) Maude C. Kelly was born 30 November 1895 and died 8 January 1963. She married Samuel Lewis KAMERER, son of Amost and Emily Kamerer, on 23 December 1916. Samuel was born 7 August 1892 and died June 1963.
b. Amelia Matilda Waltower was born 17 August 1861 and died 6 July 1935. She married William Elrod HARRISON, Jr. (1863-1940). They are buried in Mt. Vernon Cemetery. They had seven children: Bertha May (May 1881), Mabel (January 1884), Lida (October 1886), Benjamin (January 1889), Bessie (August 1891), Marie (July 1893) and Joseph Waltower Harrison (June 1895).
c. Harry Grant Waltower was born 26 March 1866 and died 1949. He married Mary E. SHIELDS (1864-1943). They had a daughter named Margaret S. Walthour who was born 4 February 1894 and died 17 January 1993. She married Clarence LEDGARD about 1924. Clarence was born 2 February 1895 and died April 1984.
d. William Newell Waltower was born 24 June 1869 and died 11 February 1935 in Versailles, Allegheny County, PA. He married Margaret Nelson WILSON, daughter of Robert S. Wilson and Mary Black, on 24 April 1889. Margaret was born August 1868 in Greenock, PA and died 2 April 1932 in Elizabeth Township, Allegheny County, PA . They had 6 children: 1) Francis Raymond (aka Frank) Waltower 8 November 1890. He married Corine Marie ARNOLD who was born about 1892 in PA and they had a child named Francis Arnold Waltower born 1915. 2) Joseph Nelson Waltower born 9 May 1892 who married Kathryn (born about 1895 in PA). 3) Robert S. Waltower born 15 April 1894 and died December 1967. 4) Kenneth Gray Waltower born 15 August 1900 and died October 1969. 5) Mary Isabella Waltower born 1 February 1906 and died September 1992 in Michigan. 6) William Allen Waltower born 21 March 1911 and died September 1980. He married Elizabeth Jane HOLLOWOOD (11 June 1912-28 January 2000).
e. Charles Stanley Waltower was born 10 June 1875 and died 4 May 1958 in Los Angeles County, California. He first married Myrtle B. DOUGLASS, daughter of Thomas C Douglass and Maranda A. Harrison about 1897 in Allegheny County, PA. It seems that this marriage ended in divorce. Myrtle was born 12 March 1875. Charles and Myrtle had 3 children: Thomas Waltower (October 1897), Charles Waltower (August 1899) and Helen Waltower (1903). Charles moved to Birmingham, AL were he married Mattie C. [maiden name unknown] who was born 4 October 1890 in North Carolina and died 31 October 1964 in Los Angeles County, CA. By the 1930 census they were living in Montebello, California where he was a real estate agent.
f. Johon Waltower.
7. Elizabeth Walthour was born about 1837 in PA. She married James CAMPBELL who was born about 1835 in Ohio and died 1926 in Elizabeth Township, Allegheny County, PA. They had five children: William F. Campbell (born about 1861), Emma V. Campbell (about 1864), George W. Campbell (about 1868), John H. Campbell (about 1874) and Charles J. Campbell (about 1878).
ELISABETH WALTHOUR (1796-1862)
Elisabeth Walthour was born 31 October 1796 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 23 October 1862 in Westmoreland County, PA. She first married John KROCK who had been married previously to Barbara and had six children. John Krock was born 1771 and died 1 March 1824 in Westmoreland County, PA. Elisabeth later married a Jacob BEAR (Bair) and had no children with him. While Elizabeth was a widow and known as Elizabeth Krock, she had a child named Anna Maria Krock who was born 13 October 1826 and baptized in 1827. It is believed her birth father was Samuel Alexander since he was a sponsor at her baptism. Later Mary Ann's grandmother stated in her will to give $100.00 to her granddaughter named Mary Ann Krock or Alexander (an illegitimate child). She was baptized as Anna Maria Krock at Brush Creek Lutheran Church.
1. Mary Ann Krock was born 13 October 1826 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 18 February 1910 in Wesley Township, Washington County, Ohio. She married Samuel KUNKLE, son of Johan Sebastian Kunkle and Anna Maria Catherine WALTHOUR (Anna Maria Catherine Walthour was the daughter of George Jacob Walthour/1723-1794 and a sister of Jacob Walthour who married Barbara Knappenberger). Samuel was born 5 March 1813 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 1 April 1892 in Wesley Township, Washington County, Ohio. This couple is buried in Bartlett Cemetery in Washington County, Ohio. Mary Ann and Samuel had 8 children. The first 7 were born in Westmoreland Co, PA and the last one in Ohio. The family moved to Ohio prior to the 1870 census.
a. Elizabeth Rachel Kunkle was born 18 October 1851 and died 22 April 1928 in Westmoreland County, PA. She married Adam "Calvin" ALTMAN about 1882. Calvin was born about 1859 in PA and died 1936 in Westmoreland County, PA. They had three children: Anna Altman (1884-1967) who married Joseph Clyde SHANER (7 June 1880), Samuel Kunkle Altman (20 May 1886-5 April 1980) who married Mary Jane ECK (October 1891), and Arminta Elizabeth ALTMAN (29 May 1894) who married Edward Haymaker KELLEY (29 June 1898).
b. John Sebastian Kunkle was born 6 April 1854 in Westmoreland County, PA and died sometime after 1920. John never married. He spent his life in Wesley Township, Washington County, Ohio.
c. Alice Anna Catherine Kunkle was born 4 September 1856 and died 26 October 1948 in Washington County, Ohio. Alice never married. She is buried in Washington County Home Cemetery.
d. Sarah Martha Kunkle was born 26 January 1859 and died 3 March 1935 in Geauga County, Ohio. She married Samuel Thompson REED on 17 November 1881. Samuel was born January 1859 in Ohio and died between 1920-1930 in Geauga County, Ohio. They had six children: George Ellsworth Reed (3 October 1882), Margie J. Reed (April 1886), Alva M. Reed (son)(October 1888), Allie R. Reed (August 1892), Nannie D. Reed (October 1894) and Vernon Glen Reed (15 August 1898).
e. Israel J. Kunkle was born 12 April 1863 and died 28 September 1942 in Washington County, Ohio. He married Lucy E. MAINS on 13 July 1889. Lucy was born October 1871 in Ohio and died 1941 in Washington County, Ohio. This couple is buried in Bartlett Cemetery, Washington County, Ohio. They had one daughter: Silva Kunkle who was born March 1890 in Washington County, Ohio.
f. Frances Margaret Kunkle known as "Fanny" was born 5 June 1865 in Westmoreland County, PA.
g. Stephen Joseph Kunkle was born February 1869 (one census has him born in PA and another one has him born in Ohio). Stephen seemingly never married. He died sometime after 1920.
h. Rebecca Malzena Kunkle was born 14 January 1872 and died 29 October 1895 in Washington County, Ohio. She is buried in Bartlett Cemetery, Washington County, Ohio.
MARIA BARBARA WALTHOUR (1798-?)
Maria Barbara known as "Mary" was born 11 June 1798 in Westmoreland County, PA and died between 1835-1838 in Westmoreland County, PA. She married Adam MARCHAND, son of Frederick Marchand and Christina Harmon, who was born 30 November 1794 in Westmoreland County, PA and died between 1835-1838 in Westmoreland County, PA. Jacob Walthour's estate records of 1839 indicated that this couple had died and listed their five children.
1. Susanna Marchand was born 2 July 1824 in Westmoreland County, PA and baptized at Brush Creek Church. She married a Mr. PORTER.
2. Isabella Marchand was born 4 February 1826 in Westmoreland County, PA and baptized at Brush Creek Church. She married William HEASLEY who was born about 1823 in Westmoreland County, PA and died between 1870 and 1880 in Allegan County, Michigan. They had 7 children: Aaron Heasley (1850 in PA) who married Clara [maiden name unknown], Mary E. Heasley (born about 1853 PA) who married Alexander PATTERSON, (born about 1853 in Scotland), Margaret Heasley (born about 1859 Ohio), Lewis Heasley (born about 1859 Ohio), H. Wilson Heasley (born about 1862 Ohio), Joseph A. Heasley (born about 1864 Michigan) and Gilderoy William Heasley (born about 1867 Michigan).
3. Jacob Frederick Marchand was born 22 May 1828 in Westmoreland County, PA and baptized at Brush Creek Church. In the 1860 census he was living in Hamilton County, Ohio. He was a farmer and single.
4. Joseph Marchand was born 14 December 1833 in Westmoreland County, PA and baptized at Brush Creek Church.
5. Louisa or Mary Ellen Marchand was born in Westmoreland County, PA. In an Orphan's Court petition of 1839 filed on the estate of Jacob Walthour, the fifth child of Mary and Adam Marchand is listed as Louisa.
SUSANNAH E. WALTHOUR (1800-1872)
Susannah was born 27 July 1800 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 18 March 1872 in Clarion County, PA. She married David KIFER, son of Henry Kifer and Anna Maria Meyer, in 1824. David was born 10 February 1795 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 5 June 1857 in Clarion County, PA. David and Susannah moved to Clarion County where they were farmers. They are buried in Mt. Zion Cemetery, Clarion County, PA. They had six children.
1. Henry A. Kifer born 9 March 1827 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 25 January 1831 in Clarion County, PA. He is buried in Mt. Zion Cemetery near Callensburg, Clarion County, PA.
2. Levi Kifer was born 9 February 1828 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 2 July 1887 in Callensburg, Clarion County, PA. He married Frances WHITMORE (sometimes listed as Whitmer) and known as "Fanny", daughter of Jacob Whitmore and Catherine Reicherd, on 23 May 1850 in Clarion County, PA. Fanny was born 13 January 1824 and died 23 November 1906 in Clarion County, PA. This couple is buried in Mt. Zion Lutheran Cemetery, Clarion County, PA. They had 5 children.
a. William J. Worth Kifer was born 11 October 1851in Clarion County, PA and died 1940 in Forest County, PA. He married Catherine R. HAHN who was born February 1855. They had 2 sons named Marshall "Curtis" Kifer born 16 January 1882 and Thomas L. Kifer born 24 December 1885 in Clarion County, PA.
b. David Bryon Kifer was born 8 April 1854 in Clarion County, PA and died there 17 October 1925. He first married Samantha SHARROW who died from complications of childbirth. They had a son named Edward Harkey KIFER (23 June 1879-28 July 1902). He then married Anise L. HORNER, daughter of Jonathan Horner and Mary Ohl on 21 September 1884. Anice was born 9 April 1856 and died 19 February 1941 in Clarion County, PA. David and Anise had 4 children: George Kifer (1889-1890), Homer V. Kifer (1891-1961), Grace Kifer (1893-1971) and Byron Kifer(1899-1938).
c. Esther Jane Kifer known as "Elsey" was born 1856 in Clarion County, PA. She married Jacob P. DUNKLE and had four children: Pearl Dunkle, Edna Dunkle, Birdie Dunkle, and Irvin Dunkle.
d. Luther Walthour Kifer was born 723 July 1858 in Clarion County, PA and died 21 November 1937 in Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, PA. He married Elizabeth Ann OVER, daughter of Michael Over and Elizabeth Anderson, on 8 June 1886. Lizzie was born 16 December 1862 in Clarion County, PA and died 6 February 1947 in Pittsburgh, Allegheny Co, PA. They are buried in Mt. Zion Lutheran Cemetery. Luther Walthour Kifer changed his name to James Luther Kifer. They had 3 children: Raymond Walthour Kifer (1889-1971), Anna Phame Kifer (1892-1986) and Gertrude Ryle Kifer (1894-1988).
e. James McClelland Kifer known as "Mack" was born 11 September 1862 in Clarion County and died 25 October 1950 in Saluda County, South Carolina. He married Sarah Jane HENRY, daughter of Thomas Preston Henry and Leah Frantz, on 21 August 1883 in Clarion County, PA. Sarah was born 13 October 1866 in Clarion County, PA and died 12 September 1907 in Otsego County, Michigan where she is buried. They had 9 children: Nellie Mae Kifer (1884-1962), Grover Cleveland Kifer (1886-1966), Daisy Belle Kifer (1888-1987), Robert Pattison Kifer (1891-1973), Don Carlos Kifer (1893), Amber Ruth Kifer (1897), James Marvin Kifer (1899-1996), Lela Margarete Kifer (1904) and Jennie Kifer (1907-1908). This family moved to Michigan, British Columbia, Canada, back to Michigan, etc. James married twice more to Rebecca JENNINGS on 15 May 1914 in Michigan and a third time to Mamie C. GRIFFIN (1880-1959) to whom he was married at the time of his death.
3. Mary Ann Barbara Kifer was born 6 February 1830 in Clarion County, PA and died 9 April 1894 in Callensburg, Clarion County, PA. She married Emmanuel OVER in 1848 who was born 14 August 1821 in Clarion County, PA and died 31 May 1903. They are buried in Mt. Zion church Cemetery, Clarion co., PA. This couple had 7 children.
a. Esther J. Over was born 5 October 1849 in Clarion County and died there 5 July 1854.
b. Alice Nancy Over was born 15 October 1851 in Clarion County and died 15 September 1933 in Santa Ana, California. Buried in Fairhaven Cemetery.
c. David Lee Over was born 16 October 1853 and died 11 April 1918 in Pittsburgh, PA. . He married Ella Mary KIFER who was born 1859 and died 1894. David and Ella had 4 children: Mabel Edna Over (1876-1964) who married a Mr. LOBAUGH and then Clinton George AGNEW (1874), Claude V. Over (born about 1878) who married Iva (born about 1880), Mary Over and Lida Over.
d. Amelia Susan Over was born 10 April 1856 in Clarion County, PA and died 25 December 1939 in Seattle, Washington. She married Thomas Jones ELLIOTT on 4 March 1884. Thomas was born 17 February 1856 in Clarion County and died September 1940 in Seattle, Washington. They had 7 children: Edith Elliott (1885-1969), George Over Elliott (1887-1973) who married Stella May CIPRA (1887-1987), Thomas Claude Elliott (1889-1969), Irene Elliott (1891-1971), Alice Amelia Elliott (1895-1985), Charles Jennings Elliott (1897-1961), and Mildred Marguerite Elliott (1900-1989). This family lived in Rapid City, South Dakota and then moved onto the state of Washington.
e. Ada M. Over was born 21 December 1860 in Clarion County, PA and died there 20 August 1902. She married Frank L. SHALLENBERGER in 1882. They had a son named John Lloyd Shallenberger.
f. Sirwell C. Over was born 1 January 1864 in Clarion County and died 19 May 1952 in Santa Ana, California.
g. Edith E. Over was born 4 February 1870 in Clarion County, PA and died 8 March 1947 in Santa Ana, California.
4. Sophia Kifer was born 15 April 1832 in Clarion County, PA and died 22 April 1886 in Clarion County, PA. She married David B. REICHERD, son of John Reicherd and Elizabeth Wetter, on 14 November 1850. David was born 24 July 1828 in Toby Township, Armstrong County, PA and died between 1900-1910 in Clarion County, PA. They had 4 children: Warren C. Reicherd (born 12 March 1852) who married Lillie B. HODILL, James "Benton" Reicherd (born 4 June 1854), John E. Reicherd (born 27 September 1859), and Alice N. Reicherd (born 1 May 1862) who married George W. CRAIG (born 1862).
5. Esther Jane Kifer was born 25 March 1833 in Clarion County, PA and died 6 May 1883 in Clarion County, PA. She married Bennett G. WILSON who was born 14 July 1837 and died 1 November 1883 in Clarion County, PA. This couple is buried in Mt. Zion Cemetery. They had 7 children: Josephine Wilson(born about 1860), Myra I. Wilson (born about 1861), Lucy M. Wilson (born about 1862), David A. Wilson (born about 1864), Orville V. Wilson (born about 1866), Laura Susannah Wilson (1867-1888), and Nettie N. Wilson (born about 1875).
Thanks to Bonnie Holquist Hood and Paul Kifer for their input and interest in the Kifer Family.
SARAH WALTHOUR (1803-?)
Sarah was born 28 September 1803 in Westmoreland County, PA and died after 1860. She married John B. KUNKLE, son of John Peter Kunkle and Anna Elisabeth Rugh, on 3 May 1827. John was born 22 December 1804 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 15 March 1838 in North Huntingdon Township, Westmoreland County, PA. This couple had five children.
1. Anna Elizabeth Kunkle was born 23 January 1829 in Westmoreland County and died 8 December 1906 in Westmoreland County, PA. Elizabeth first married a Mr. HEINTZLEMAN and had two daughters: Sarah Jane and Lydia Ellen. In the 1860 census for Penn Township, Westmoreland County, PA Elizabeth A. Heintzleman age 31 was living with her widowed mother, Sarah Kunkle and her two daughters.
By the 1870 census, Eliz. Heintzleman is listed as 41 years of age and head of household in Penn Township, Westmoreland County, PA with three daughters: Jane, age 14, Lydia, age 11 and Rachel, age 3. By the 1880 census, Elizabeth Kunkle is listed as head of household, age 51, divorced with her youngest daughter, listed as Rachel EVERET, age 13.
a. Sarah Jane Heintzleman was born about 1855.
b. Lydia Ellen Heintzleman was born about 1856 in Westmoreland County, PA.
c. Rachel Mariah Everett was born 21 January 1867 and died 1 October 1942. Rachel married Thomas Borland JELLISON (25 July 1859-22 January 1911) on 18 November 1883 and had 12 children: Pearl Gertrude Jellison (7 July 1885-15 April 1958) who married Ralph Cleveland NEWLIN (1884-1957), Eva Myrtle Jellison (4 November 1886-30 October 1966) who married Marion Jacob ALTMAN, Susan Jellison (18 March 1888-19 February 1980) who married Mike PEHULIC, Elizabeth Ann Jellison (12 February 1890-30 June 1978) who married Albert WALT, George Seaman Jellison (20 October 1892-18 October 1894), Sarah Ellen Jellison (23 September 1894-17 February 1968), Rachel Blanche Jellison (21 December 1897-17 June 1946) who married Theodore C. LAMB, Florence Elsie Jellison (15 August 1899-1969) who married Roy BURKHART and then married George RISKER, Ruth Bessie Jellison (29 April 1902028 November 1963) who married Stewart GREENWALT , Martha Mariah Jellison (4 July 1903-28 June 1994) who married Harry Cramer HILDENBRAND, and Alice Catherine Jellison (20 March 1906-8 February 1989) who married Joseph DUNN and Rufus W. JELLISON born 2 September 1913 and died December 1969. Thomas and Rachel are buried in Brush Creek Cemetery.
2. Jacob Kunkle was born 28 March 1831 in North Huntingdon Township, Westmoreland County, PA and died 1878-1880 in Westmoreland County, PA. He married Lavinia [maiden name unknown] who was born about 1847 in PA. They had 4 children: Mary J. Kunkle (April 1870), Edward Kunkle (born about 1873), Anna Kunkle (27 May 1875-August 1965) and George Kunkle (born about 1878)
3. Peter Kunkle was born 20 March 1833 in Westmoreland County, PA. Peter married Sarah [maiden name unknown] who was born about 1841 in PA. They had a daughter named Rebecca J. born about 1859 in North Huntingdon Township, Westmoreland County, PA.
4. Sarah Jane Kunkle was born 28 July 1835 in North Huntingdon Township, Westmoreland County, PA. She was single in the 1860 census and living with her widowed mother.
5. John A. Kunkle was born 23 March 1838 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 27 December 1910 in Delmont, Westmoreland County, PA. He married Sarah Elizabeth WAUGAMAN, daughter of John Waugaman and Susannah Naley, on 22 October 1861. Sarah was born 10 August 1842 in Salem Township, Westmoreland County, PA and died 23 March 1915 in Delmont, PA. John A. Kunkle was a Civil War veteran with the 168th PA Regiment. They are buried in Eastview Union Cemetery. This couple had 10 children:
a. George Benjamin McClellan Kunkle was born 19 July 1862 and died 5 March 1915 in Westmoreland County, PA. He married Barbara "Alice" ASHBAUGH, daughter of Henry Ashbaugh and Elizabeth Good, on 27 September 1885. Alice was born 3 August 1862 and died 18 July 1946 in Westmoreland County, PA. They had 8 children: William Roy (1886-1887), Harry Francis (1888-1959), Mary (1888-1888), John Henry (1890-1958), Sarah Ellen (1893-1972), Ruth Rebecca (1896), Wilson George (1900-1962), Edward Paul (1908-1984).
b. William John Kunkle was born 4 December 1864 and died 15 June 1948 in Indiana County, PA. He married Effie Ermina PALMER on 7 August 1890. Effie was born 4 April 1871 and died 14 April 1931. They had 8 children: Horace John (1891-1945), Bertha Margaret (1893), Florence M. (1895-1897), Sarah Winona (1896-1964), Louise Marie (1898), Samuel LeRoy (1904-1963), Almeda Pearl (1906), George Edward (1910).
c. Annie Susanna Kunkle was born 29 June 1867 and died 25 November 1932 in Westmoreland County, PA. She married David "Henry" WOLFE, son of Abraham Wolfe and Mary Steiner, on 1 November 1888. Henry was born 5 April 1861 and died 1918. They had 6 children: Grace (1889-1984), Ida (1894-1973), John (1899-1988), Sarah (1901-1992), Ralph (1903-1984) and Claire (born 1905).
d. Harry Paul Kunkle was born 24 January 1869 and died 29 May 1943 in Westmoreland County, PA. He married Margaret Jane GOOD, daughter of Paul Good and Mary Waugaman, on 25 March 1897. Margaret was born 30 September 1872 and died 21 November 1954. They had 7 children: Olive M. (1897), Laurabel (1899), Emily (born 1901), Mary (1905), Edith (1907), Margaret (1909-1909), Sarah Elizabeth (1912).
e. Edward Everett Kunkle was born 29 April 1870 and died 2 May 1946 in Westmoreland County, PA. He married Mary Jane WOLFE, daughter of Andrew Wolfe and Sarah Klingensmith, on 17 September 1891. Mary Jane was born 20 August 1871 and died 13 September 1955. They had 6 children: Andrew John "Morrison" (1892-1973), Roy (1894-1985), Edna Florence (1896-1976), Glen Roscoe (1898-1981), Sarah Rebecca (1900), George William (1909-1984).
f. Rebecca Jane Kunkle was born 16 September 1873 in Salem Township, Westmoreland County, PA and died 3 May 1969 in Westmoreland County, PA. She is buried in Eastview Union Cemetery.
g. Sarah Elizabeth Kunkle was born 3 July 1875 and died 15 August 1954 in Westmoreland County, PA. She married George Elias CASHDOLLAR on 12 October 1904. George was born 6 April 1881 and died 19 April 1945. They had two children: Duella Mae (1905-1948) and John Allen (1907-1908).
h. Louisa Rachel Kunkle was born 6 May 1878 and died 12 April 1963. She married John Burne SHUSTER on 20 June 1901. John was born 5 July 1875 and died 22 July 1918. They had 3 children: Dora Leola (1902-1903), Carl Boyd (1906) and Merle Buren (1913).
i. Cyrus Peter Kunkle was born 17 April 1880 and died 21 December 1881 in Salem Township, Westmoreland County, PA Buried Eastview Union Cemetery.
j. Mary Ellen Pearl Kunkle was born 10 November 1882 in Salem Township, Westmoreland County, PA and died 18 August 1896. Buried Eastview Union Cemetery.
NANCY BARBARA WALTHOUR (1806-1890)
Nancy Barbara was born November 1806 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 11 August 1890 in Armstrong County, PA. She married John SHEARER, son of Jacob Shearer and Barbara Heasley, in 7 June 1832 in Westmoreland County. John was born 20 September 1805 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 14 April 1896 in Armstrong County, PA. This couple moved to Armstrong County in 1852 and had seven children. They are buried in Bethel Lutheran Cemetery, Bethel Township, Armstrong County, PA but there are no grave markers. For more information on this family, click on the name above.
ESTHER WALTHOUR (1808-1863)
Esther was born 8 March 1808 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 5 April 1863 in Westmoreland County. She married John LENHART on 16 April 1828. John, the son of Christian and Anna Lenhart, was born 29 September 1801 in Salem Township, Westmoreland County, PA and died there on 17 November 1883. This couple is buried at Eastview Union Cemetery, Delmont, Westmoreland County, PA. They had 7 children.
1. Sarah J. Lenhart was born 28 December 1829 in Westmoreland County and died 21 December 1890 in McKeesport, Allegheny County, PA. She first married Isaac HUGUS, son of Henry Hugus and Elizabeth Schwartz, on 10 December 1851. Isaac was born 1817 and died 22 September 1852 in Delmont, Westmoreland County, PA. Sarah and Isaac had a daughter Eleanor Hugus born about 1852.
Sarah remarried Simon Jacob STECK, who was the widower of her sister, Susan [see below]. Simon was the son of John Steck and Leah Rugh. He was born 14 November 1824 and died 1873. Sarah and Simon were married in 1855. They had 6 children.
a. John Zimmerman Steck born 30 January 1856 in Westmoreland County, PA.
b. Jennie Ann Steck born 13 September 1858 who married Charles POWELL.
c. Ellen Hugus Steck born 6 December 1860.
d. Henry M. Steck born April 13 1862.
e. Charles Steck born 1865.
f. Horatio Edward Steck born 1868.
2. Susan Lenhart was born 19 February 1831 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 1854 there. She married Simon Jacob STECK on 13 April 1851. He was born 14 November 1824 and died 1873. After Susan died in 1854, he married her older sister, Sarah who was a widow (see above). Susan and Simon had two children.
a. William Edgar Steck born 1 November 1852 in Westmoreland County, PA.
b. Mary Elizabeth Steck born 1853 who married Norman C. YOUNG, son of Robert Young. Norman was born about 1841 in PA.
3. John W. Lenhart was born 5 August 1833 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 14 July 1874. He married Martha Elizabeth JOBE, daughter of William Jobe and Hannah Martz, on 20 April 1865. Martha was born 1842 and died between 1875 and 1880. John and Martha had 3 children.
a. Robert "Stewart" Lenhart born 17 April 1867 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 28 October 1948 in Topeka, Kansas. Robert first married Laura Belle PEER, daughter of David J.C. Peer and Isabella Henderson on 3 July 1888. Laura was born 8 April 1868 and died April 1929 in Westmoreland County, PA. This marriage ended in divorce. They had one daughter: Viola Henrietta Lenhart born 16 June 1889 in PA and died 14 July 1979 in Kansas. Robert was living in Kansas by the 1900 census and listed as single. He married Augusta Sophie "Minnie" STROTH about 1901. Minnie was born 4 February 1880 in Kansas and died 8 May 1961 in Topeka, Kansas. They had six children: Louise C. Lenhart (18 November 1901-18 June 1996), Clarence Stewart Lenhart (20 November 1903-15 November 1992), Emery Gordon Lenhart (19 January 1906-3 October 1986), Otto James Lenhart (5 August 1908- 3 November 2002), Edward Wilbur Lenhart (27 October 1910-25 November 1991) and Erna Susanna Lenhart (17 October 1917-29 January 2007).
b. Etta Mary Lenhart was born 27 May 1870 in Westmoreland County, PA. She George HENDERSON who was born July 1866 about 1890. They had four children: Genevieve Henderson (August 1891), Rose A. Henderson (March 1893), John L. Henderson (December 1894) and May H. Henerson (November 1898).
c. Harry Lenhart was born 1875 in Westmoreland County, PA. He was raised by his maternal grandmother, Hannah Jobe.
4. William M. Lenhart was born 2 October 1835 and died 21 July 1875. He married Matilda UMBERGER on 4 March 1869.
5. Elizabeth L. Lenhart was born 31 March 1839 and died 26 October 1865. She married Samuel H. ROBINSON on 16 June 1864. They had one daughter.
a. Annie Lenhart Robinson who was born 14 November 1864. She was raised by her maternal grandfather, John Lenhart.
6. Barbara Ann Lenhart was born 5 April 1842 who married J. Frank ROUP.
7. James Rush Lenhart was born 6 February 1845 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 12 July 1924 there. He married Mary Caroline ARMEL, daughter of Jacob Armel and Margaret Brinker, on 11 February 1868. She was born 7 November 1842 in Westmoreland County and died there 18 November 1914. They had 8 children.
a. Pressley Brinker Lenhart born 24 October 1868 and died 5 February 1934. He married Winona Anna FRY on 2 January 1896. Winona was born 25 September 1871 and died 16 September 1954.
b. Unnamed Lenhart was born 2 May 1872 and died as an infant.
c. John Edward McNeil Lenhart was born 8 July 1873 and died 8 December 1919 in Westmoreland County, PA. He married Marion Eleanor GRANGER who was born 14 September 1883 and died 5 April 1970.
d. William Oran Lenhart was born 2 May 1875 and died 2 July 1965 in Westmoreland County, PA. He married Anna DOUTHETT who was born 20 February 1888 and died 6 March 1986.
e. Rush Edwin Lenhart was born 19 December 1876 and died 13 May 1947. He married Anna M. SMAIL on 4 June 1904. She was born 20 February 1888 and died 1948.
f. James Lawrence Lenhart was born 2 December 1878 and died 28 January 1971. He married Cleo Edna ADAIR who was born 15 October 1879 and died 1 January 1915.
g. Addison Brown Lenhart was born 12 January 1880 and died 23 September 1958. He married Mary V. LEWIS who died 2 July 1962.
h. Margaret Jane Lenhart was born 17 September 1885 and died 6 November 1979.
JOHN WALTHOUR (1812-1891)
John was born 8 May 1812 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 12 August 1891 in Westmoreland County, PA. He married Anna Mary ALTMAN who was born 13 June 1818 and died 23 September 1891 in Westmoreland County, PA. No children were listed in the 1850 or 1860 census. This couple is buried in Brush Creek Church Cemetery in Westmoreland County, PA.
HANNAH WALTHOUR (c1815-1850)
Hannah was born about 1815 in Westmoreland County, PA and died April 1850 in Steubenville, Jefferson County, Ohio. She married her cousin Jacob KNAPPENBERGER, son of John Knappenberger and Hannah L. CORT, on 20 April 1837 in Westmoreland County, PA. Jacob was born 1 January 1814 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 9 January 1898 in Mason County, West Virginia. This couple had three children: Henry, Hannah, and Lillian. Nothing further is known of these three children. For more information on Jacob Knappenberger family, click on his name above.
JOSEPH WALTHOUR (1816-1866)
Joseph was born 25 December 1816 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 1 April 1866 in Westmoreland County, PA. He married Elizabeth known as "Eliza" WENTLING, daughter of John Dewalt Wentling and Ann Elizabeth WALTHOUR, on the 9 December 1841. Eliza was born 1825 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 18 August 1893 in Westmoreland County, PA. This couple is buried at the Old Brush Creek Cemetery also called Adamsburg Cemetery in Westmoreland County, PA. They had ten children.
1. Mary E. Walthour was born 27 January 1843 and died 26 January 1872 in Westmoreland County, PA. She married Johnston J. JOBE who was born about 1839 in PA. They were living with her parents in the 1870 census.
2. Oliver K. Walthour was born 1845 in Westmoreland County, PA.
3. Benjamin "Rush" Walthour was born 1 November 1846 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 1903 in Westmoreland County, PA. He owned a livery stable in Manor, PA. Benjamin married Sarah Jane RANKIN, daughter of David J. Rankin and Eliza Skelly, on 24 September 1874 in Westmoreland County, PA. Sarah was born 6 April 1855 and died 9 April 1933. They are buried in Brush Creek Cemetery. This couple had 4 children.
a. Gertrude Florence Walthour was born 14 July 1875 in Westmoreland County, PA. She married Kreider A .ROCK who was born about 1873 in PA. They had three children: Louise (born about 1901), Samuel (born about 1903) and Sarah W. (born about 1906).
b. Howard Cherry Walthour was born 16 January 1880 and died 1956 in Westmoreland County, PA. He married Margaret R. SCHMIDT in 1901. Margaret was born 1879 in England and died 1963 in Westmoreland County, PA. They are buried in Brush Creek Cemetery. Howard and Margaret had four children: Eugene Rush Walthour (1901 - 1918), John Smith Walthour (1903-1951), Dorothy Jane Walthour (1904), and Joseph R. Walthour (1915-2000) who married Helen TAYLOR (1916-2005).
c. Edna A. Walthour was born 12 December 1883. She married John Clayton BRISBINE, M.D., who was born 18 December 1882. They had two children: Rush N. Brisbine (6 February 908-February 1970) and Nancy J. Brisbine (born about 1912).
d. Josephine Walthour was born 27 March 1887. She married a Mr. ROVENSKY.
4. Marquis Lafayette Walthour was born 17 August 1849 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 27 November 1853. He is buried at Adamsburg Cemetery (Old Brush Creek Cemetery) in Westmoreland County, PA.
5. Eliza Jane Walthour was born 3 March 1852 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 23 November 1852. She is buried in Adamsburg Cemetery (Old Brush Creek).
6. Franklin Pierce Walthour was born 1853 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 1894 and is buried in Old Brush Creek Cemetery, Westmoreland County, PA. Frank seemingly never married.
7. Lydia Ann Walthour was born about 1855 in Westmoreland County, PA.
8. John C. Walthour was born 29 May 1858 in Westmoreland County, PA. He died 4 November 1875 and is buried in Old Brush Creek Cemetery in Westmoreland County, PA
9. Sarah E. Walthour was born 9 April 1861 and died 18 July 1880 in Westmoreland County, PA. She is buried at Old Brush Creek Cemetery, Adamsburg, Westmoreland County, PA.
10. Josephine Walthour was born about 1866 in Westmoreland County, PA. She married Will KNOX.
More information is available on the WALTHOUR family. If you are interested, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org Also if you have further information on this family, please email us!
• Jerilyn Jeffreys McDowell (descendant of Joseph W. Waltower) for her continued help and support in this family project regarding the Walthour family. The information that she provided was invaluable.
• Kathy Altman Walker
• Betsy Murphy
• James E. Kunkle
• Genevieve Rowand
• Charles S. Kifer
• Jim Walthour
• Karen Lucas
• Irving Mitchell
• Margaret Stivenson Krecota