NANCY [WALTHOUR] SHEARER FAMILY
Maria Barbara Walthour
Jacob S. (1833-1865) > 1 Child
Joseph (1838-1922) > 6 Children
Henry John (1841-1907) > 1 Child
Barbara Eleanor (1844-1897) > 9 Children
Sarah Jane (1846-1930) > 10 Children
Samuel Jeremiah (1851-1933) > 12 Children
Nancy Barbara Walthour was born November 1806 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 11 August 1890 in Armstrong County, PA. She was the daughter of Jacob Walthour (born 23 January 1763 in Lancaster County, PA and died 8 January 1839 in Westmoreland County, PA) and Maria "Barbara" Knappenberger (born 15 September 1772 in Macungie Township, Northampton County, PA and died 12 August 1854 in Westmoreland County, PA). Nancy Barbara Walthour was the granddaughter of Conrad Knappenberger of Westmoreland County, PA.
Nancy married John SHEARER, son of Jacob Shearer and Barbara Heasley, on 7 June 1832 in Westmoreland County, PA. John Shearer was born 20 September 1805 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 14 April 1896 in Armstrong County, PA. Nancy and John moved to Armstrong County, PA in 1852 where they raised their seven children. This couple is buried in Bethel Lutheran Cemetery, Bethel Township, Armstrong County, PA but there are no grave markers.
Drawing of John Shearer and Nancy Walthour
Jacob Shearer, the father of John Shearer, was born 10 January 1770 in Lehigh Township, Northampton County, PA and died 25 August 1851 in Westmoreland County, PA. Jacob Shearer's wife, Barbara Heasley, was born 27 September 1776 and died 27 September 1872 in Westmoreland County, PA. Jacob and Barbara are buried in Denmark Manor Church cemetery in Westmoreland County, PA. Jacob Shearer (1770-1851) was the son of Johannes SCHERER / SHEARER and Anna Maria. Johannes Scherer died 9 February 1785 in Lehigh Township, Northampton County, PA. He fought in the American Revolutionary War and served in the 7th Company of the 3rd Battalion Militia for the County of Northampton in 1782 under Captain John Deter. This information was obtained from the Pennsylvania Archives, Fifth Series, Volume VIII, page 276. [Thank you to Margaret "Peg" [nee Stivenson] Krecota for doing the paper work for John Shearer for the Daughters of the American Revolution.]
JACOB S. SHEARER (1833-1865)
Jacob S. was born 26 May 1833 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 11 August 1865 in Armstrong County, PA. Jacob was a farmer, a boatman, and a soldier. He enlisted in the Union Army in 1862 and served with the 139th Regiment, Company B of the Pennsylvania Volunteers. He served a total of 3 years and participated in the conflicts of Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, and Gettysburg. During various conflicts he was wounded in both arms and received a shoulder wound in Sheridan's Ride. His name is inscribed on the Pennsylvania Monument at Gettysburg. He was discharged in June 1865 and resumed his duties as a boatman on the Allegheny River. Six weeks later he drowned at Hill's Island. He is buried at Bethel Lutheran Cemetery in Armstrong County, PA. Jacob and his spouse [unknown] had a daughter, Nancy Jane Shearer.
1. Nancy Jane Shearer was born 10 January 1863 in Armstrong County and died 26 March 1958 in Armstrong County, PA. She married Joseph KLINGENSMITH, son of Peter Klingensmith and Anna Hartman, on 6 July 1882. Joseph Klingensmith was born 23 January 1853 and died 14 February 1935 in Armstrong County, PA. Nancy and Joseph and many of their family members are buried at Homewood Baptist Church in Armstrong County, PA. Nancy Jane and Joseph had 13 children.
a. Vernice L. Klingensmith known as "Vern" was born 10 December 1882 in Armstrong County, PA and died 21 January 1958. He married Ida M. FULLER on 16 November 1906. Ida was born about 1867 and died 1912. Ida had been married previously to a Mr. JACK and had two children with him named Marion and Sarah. Vern and Ida had 2 children: Verna B. Klingensmith (born about 1907) and Joseph "Lee" Klingensmith (born about 1910). After Ida's death in 1912, Vern remarried Pat GASSABARRO sometime after the 1920 census.
b. Elizabeth Grace Klingensmith known as "Lizzie" was born 26 July 1884 in Armstrong County, PA and died 1962. It seems that she never married.
c. Lulu Pearl Klingensmith was born 22 September 1886 and died 2 September 1941. In 1910, she was living in her father's household with the married name of Lulu Pearl KRAMER. At this time we do not know her husband's full name.
d. Twin of Lulu Pearl born 22 September 1886 and died 22 September 1886.
e. Otis Mervin/Marvin Klingensmith was born 26 February 1889 in Armstrong County, PA and died 2 February 1948 in Armstrong County, PA. He married Ella "Mae" ESSENWEIN on 25 December 1911. Ella Mae was born about 1895. They had 3 children: Harry Robert Klingensmith (born about 1914), Rosemary Klingensmith (born about 1915) who married Bruce MOATES, and Bonnie Bell Klingensmith (born about 1919) who married Mr. YANCY.
f. Archie Rayburn Klingensmith was born 8 August 1891 in Armstrong County, PA and died June 22, 1984 in Vandergrift, Westmoreland County, PA. He married Ora FENNEL on 16 November 1911. Ora was born 14 July 1896 and died 6 September 1935. They had 7 children: Frederick Klingensmith (1913-1989), Lawrence S. Klingensmith (1916-1990), Harold A. Klingensmith (born 1919), Marshall V. Klingensmith (1924-1982), Doris Klingensmith (born 1929), Virginia D. Klingensmith (born 1933), and Betty Gayle Klingensmith (born 1935) who was adopted by her aunt, Sarah Ann Klingensmith BASH [see below].
g. Murray Claire Klingensmith known as "Butch" was born 23 August 1893 in Armstrong County, PA and died October 22, 1973 in Armstrong County, PA. He married Rose Edna RUGH on 6 December 1919. Rosa was born 22 April 1896 in Monroeville, Allegheny County, PA and died 19 August 1978 in Armstrong County, PA. Murray was a U.S. Marine from 1915 until 1919 in World War I. They had 4 sons: Clayton M. Klingensmith (1921-1967), Charles L. Klingensmith (1923-1944 on the Burma Road during World War II), Finley G. Klingensmith (born 1927) and Ronald W. Klingensmith. The 1910 census shows Murray as 13 years of age so his birth year might be 1896 instead of 1893.
h. Sarah Ann Klingensmith was born 9 February 1894 in Armstrong County, PA and died 19 October 1987. She married Charles Alexander BASH on 17 May 1917. He was born 30 March 1891 and died 27 January 1957. They had no children of their own but adopted Betty Gayle Klingensmith (born 1935) from Archie Rayburn Klingensmith, Sarah's brother, after his wife's death in 1935. Betty was just 2 months old when she was adopted.
i. Oliver J. Klingensmith was born 29 May 1899 in Armstrong County, PA and died 16 March 1982 in Natrona Heights, Allegheny County, PA. He married Katherine Ann PAFFRAGH known as "Katy" on 16 June 1922. Katy was born 17 September 1901 and died March 1976. They had two children: Joseph Klingensmith and Lorraine Klingensmith.
j. Lloyd H. Klingensmith was born 10 December 1902 in Armstrong County, PA and died 14 December 1987 in Armstrong County, PA. He married Dorothy Mildred TARR on 19 July 1924. Dorothy was born 4 March 1905 and died 31 July 1979 in Armstrong County, PA. Her parents were Charles Tarr and Lulu McCollum. They had 8 children: John Klingensmith, Eugene S. Klingensmith, Lloyd A. Klingensmith, Nancy Belle Klingensmith, Sarah K. Klingensmith, Mona Martha Klingensmith, Loretta Ella Klingensmith, and Sandra Kay Klingensmith.
k. Wilbur Theodore Klingensmith known as "Ted" was born 12 July 1904 in Armstrong County, PA and died 18 September 1985 in Armstrong County, PA. He married Edna B. HOBAUGH on 30 January 1925. Edna was born 10 September 1899 in Armstrong County, PA and died 4 July 1979 in Armstrong County, PA. Wilbur and Edna had 2 children: Frank J. Klingensmith and Lois Klingensmith.
l. Ruby Mae Klingensmith was born 6 December 1906 in Armstrong County and died 21 July 1995 in Natrona Heights, Allegheny County, PA She married Walter THICKEY on 27 August 1917. Walter was born 22 May 1899 and died February 1987 in Natrona Heights, Allegheny County, PA. They had 4 children: Shirley Jean Thickey, Gary Denver Thickey, William Glen Thickey, and Bruce Allen Thickey.
m. Juel C. Klingensmith known as "Bud" was born 13 September 1909 in Armstrong County, PA and died 21 September 1959. He married Olive Margaret LUKEHART daughter of Charles and Annie Lukehart. She was born 11 January 1908 in Sagamore, PA and died 20 September 1995 in Ford City, Armstrong County, PA. They had 5 children: Patricia Jean Klingensmith, Richard Clair Klingensmith, Janet Klingensmith, Annie Klingensmith and Delmar Leroy Klingensmith.
URIAH SHEARER (1836-1922)
Uriah was born 20 May 1836 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 25 October 1922 in Westmoreland County, PA. He is buried at Bethel Lutheran Cemetery in Armstrong County with many others of this family. Uriah was a carpenter and a cooper. He fought in the Civil War with the 209th Regiment, Company I, Pennsylvania Volunteers from 1864-1865. Uriah Shearer was first married to Mary Jane COBB who was born 16 June 1836 and died 12 August 1886 in Armstrong County, PA. He then married Hannah McCAULEY on 2 May 1898. Hannah was born 17 July 1844 and died 10 April 1917 in Armstrong County, PA. Mary Jane and Hannah are both buried at Bethel Lutheran Cemetery, Bethel Township, Armstrong County, PA. Uriah and his wives had no children together. However, in the 1880 census for Gilpin Township, Armstrong County, PA, Uriah and Mary Jane Shearer had two children living with them: Nancy, age 18, listed as daughter and Thomas Shearer, age 10, listed as son. This Thomas Shearer is actually a nephew and was the son of Uriah's brother, Joseph Shearer (see below). Some family histories state that Nancy was a "foster" child of Uriah and Mary Jane Shearer. We do not know the biological parents of Nancy Jane Shearer. In the 1920 census for New Kensington, Westmoreland County, Uriah Shearer, age 83 and widowed, was living with Nancy Jane Dobbins and her family. Uriah is listed as father-in-law in the household of James Dobbins.
1. Nancy Jane Shearer was born about February 1862 in Armstrong County, PA and died 1947 in Westmoreland County, PA. She is buried in Appleby Manor Presbyterian Graveyard, Armstrong County, PA. Nancy first married Clinton Chambers SIMPSON about 1883. Clinton was born April 1855 in PA and died 1914 in Armstrong County, PA. He and Nancy are buried together in Appleby Manor Presbyterian Graveyard. They had nine children. Nancy Jane Shearer Simpson remarried to James DOBBINS about 1917. James was born about 1865 in PA and died sometime after the 1930 census. This was his first marriage and no children were born to this union.
a. Lottie Pearl Simpson was born 8 June 1884 in Armstrong County, PA and died 19 September 1976. She married Lewis Palmer HILL, son of Thomas Hill and Maria Ann Kingensmith. Lewis was born about 1893 in PA. They had 9 children: Henry Palmer Hill (born about 1903), Dent A. Hill (19 January 1907-27 July 2007), Clara Belle Hill (9 October 1909-3 October 1999), Elizabeth Hill (born about 1912), Arthur Thomas Hill (born about 1914), Ida Ruth Hill (born about 1915), Chambers C. Hill (3 April 1916-25 December 1991), Maria Jennie Hill (born about 1917), and Ford Rayburn Hill (born about 1919).
b. Edward Shearer Simpson was born 22 January 1888 in Armstrong County, PA
c. Thomas D. Simpson was born September 1889 in Armstrong County, PA
d. Olie V. Simpson was born July 1891. She married a Mr. LESSIG who died prior to 1920. They had a daughter: Della A. Lessig (born about 1913).
e. Preston B. Simpson was born 18 December 1893 and died March 1963. He married Alice Margaret DORSETT on 25 July 1916. Alice was born 11 August 1894.
f. Julia R. Simpson was born December 1895 in Armstrong County, PA.
g. Rayburn Calvin Simpson was born 23 December 1897 and died March 1979.
h. Ford Simpson was born 4 November 1900 and died May 1977.
i. Royal A. Simpson was born about 1907 in Ford City, Armstrong County, PA.
JOSEPH SHEARER (1838-1922)
Joseph was born 8 February 1838 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 2 June 1922 in Armstrong County, PA. Joseph Shearer first married Barbara Lucinda KLINGENSMITH, daughter of John Klingensmith and Mary Shoop, on 11 February 1864. Barbara was born 6 January 1841 and died 27 February 1872 in Armstrong County, PA. Joseph Shearer and Barbara Lucinda Klingensmith had 4 children.
Joseph Shearer married a second time to Nancy Jane CLAYPOOLE on 22 January 1874. Nancy was born 8 November 1838 and died 27 April 1902. Nancy was the widow of George Lasher DAVIS with whom she had a daughter named Emily "Alice" Davis. This Alice Davis married Samuel Jeremiah Shearer [see below]. Joseph Shearer and Nancy Jane Claypoole had 2 children.
Joseph Shearer was married a third time on 12 October 1905 to Della SHIELDS BRUNER who was born about 1844 in PA. Shields was her maiden name. Della was first married to a Mr. Stitt with whom she had a child named William C. Stitt (born September 1893). In 1900, Della was the wife of George W. Bruner (1837-1902). In 1905, Della married Joseph Shearer.
1. Samuel Henry Shearer was the child of Joseph Shearer and Barbara Lucinda Klingensmith. He was born 2 January 1865 in Armstrong County, PA and died 27 March 1902 in Armstrong County. Samuel is buried at Bethel Lutheran Cemetery, Armstrong County, PA. He married Lydia E. BEAL, daughter of Phillip Jacob Beal and Jane Armenta Houston. Lydia was born 23 April 1869 and died 1934. Samuel and Lydia had 5 children. After Samuel's death, Lydia married Israel Allshouse with whom she had two additional children.
a. Clyde H. Shearer was born 15 January 1890 in Armstrong County and died 10 September 1980 in Armstrong County. Clyde H. Shearer first married Hazel May ROSS who was born 1 April 1895 and died 21 November 1918. Clyde and Hazel had two daughters: June and Dorothy. Clyde then married Alice Naomi HENRY who was born 14 January 1895 and died 11 January 1927. Clyde married a third time to Lena [maiden name unknown] who was born 1885 and died 1955.
b. Emma Nancy Shearer was born 9 October 1894 in Armstrong County, PA and died 8 November 1964.
c. Joseph Philip Shearer was born 14 October 1897 in Armstrong County, PA and died 29 July 1985.
d. James W. Shearer was born 18 September 1898 in Armstrong County, PA and died in 1984.
e. John M. Shearer was born 14 August 1901 in Armstrong County, PA and died 13 January 1985. He married Ruth HILL.
2. Uriah Albert Shearer known as "Albert" was the child of Joseph Shearer and Barbara Lucinda Klingensmith. He was born 29 December 1866 in Armstrong County, PA and died 23 March 1956. He married Mary Belle MCCALL on 13 April 1892 in Youngstown, Ohio. Mary was born July 1878 in PA. They had 13 children of which 12 are listed here: Mervin, Thomas E. (born February 1895), Anna H. (born June 1896), Earle (born about 1897), Margaret J. (born October 1898), Grace M. (born May 1900), Violet E. (born about 1903), Blanche A. (born about 1904), Leroy A. (born about 1908), Milton B. (born about 1910), Joseph A. (born about 1913), and Norman (born about 1915). The 13th child's name may be Harry. All were born in Armstrong County, PA.
3. Thomas Elmer Shearer was the child of Joseph Shearer and Barbara Lucinda Klingensmith. He was born 18 June 1868 in Armstrong County and died 1930 or 1931 in Clarion County, PA. He is buried at Bethel Cemetery in Armstrong County, PA. Thomas was a veteran of the Spanish American War in Company G, 16th Regiment, 1st Battalion. He married Margaret Lucinda DUNMIRE, daughter of Andrew and Myriah Dunmire. Margaret was born 1876 in PA and died 1964 in Clarion County, PA. She is buried at Lawsonham Cemetery near Rimersburg, Clarion County, PA. Thomas purchased the old homestead in 1896 which he sold in 1913. He and his family then moved to Rimersburg, Clarion County, PA where he was a farmer. They had 7 children: Elmer Andrew (born August 1899) who married Jessie RAMSEY, Ralph Alexander (7 July 1903-10 June 1991), Raymond Samuel (born about 1906) who married Elsie WYANT, Herbert Joseph (born about 1908), Harry (29 July 1910-16 April 1997) who married Parma F. PAINTER (21 November 1913-21 October 1994), Charles Alvin (29 March 1913-11 March 1987) who married both Elizabeth HAMILTON and Doris L. FRICK, and Myriah "Ellen" who married Verner James KERR (1913-1982).
4. Sarah Ellen Shearer was the child of Joseph Shearer and Barbara Lucinda Klingensmith. She was born 22 February 1870 and died 3 December 1893 in Armstrong County, PA.
5. John David Shearer was the child of Joseph Shearer and Nancy Jane Claypoole. He was born 25 April 1876 in Kelly Station, Armstrong County, PA and died 13 May 1947 in Armstrong County, PA. He married Lucy Maude BEAL, daughter of Martin Luther Beal and Margaret E. Karns, on 5 July 1905. Lucy was born 6 January 1880 and died 10 March 1960. This couple is buried at Forks (Zion) Lutheran Church in Gilpin Township, Armstrong County, PA. They had 5 children: Velma E. (1906-1991) who married a Mr. MYERS, Alberta Mae (1911-1988) who married a Kenneth E. MARKBY (1910-1993), Bernice Burdell (1912-1996) who married Elmer Howell WOLFE (1918-c1982), Lloyd Martin (1916-1993) who married Marion Marie SMAIL (1916-1995), and Howard Wilson (1918-1996) who first married Evelyn TREAT and then Betty Jane BUHEL.
6. Milton Burwell Shearer was the child of Joseph Shearer and Nancy Jane Claypoole. He was born 12 June 1878 in Kelly Station, Armstrong County, PA and died 25 June 1960. He married Charity Mary BEAL, daughter of Martin Luther Beal and Margaret E. Karns, on 27 September 1909. Charity was born 2 May 1881 and died 25 March 1974 in Armstrong County, PA. They had 3 children: Bernard Beal Shearer (1911-1931), Burwell Karns Shearer (1914-1970) who married Edith M. MARSINETTI, and Mary Louise Shearer (born 1922) who married Clarence H. TODD (1922-2009).
HENRY JOHN SHEARER (1841-1907)
Henry John Shearer was born 8 September 1841 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 6 April 1907 in Armstrong County, PA. Henry was a farmer and a soldier. He enlisted 29 September 1863 in Company M, 159th Regiment, 14th Pennsylvania Calvary. He served three years and was discharged from the service on 13 May 1865 at Alexandria. Virginia. His name is inscribed on the Pennsylvania Monument at Gettysburg. Henry John married Angeline KLINGENSMITH, granddaughter of John Klingensmith and Mary Shoop, on 12 September 1867. Angeline was born 1851 and died 1929 in Armstrong County, PA. Henry and Angeline are both buried at Bethel Lutheran Cemetery, Armstrong County, PA. They had one daughter.
1. Elizabeth Ellen Shearer known as "Lizzie" was born 7 May 1870 in Armstrong County, PA and died 25 January 1903 in Armstrong County, PA. She married Wilson H. JACK, son of Daniel and Sarah Jane Jack, on 19 February 1895. Wilson and Elizabeth are buried in Bethel Lutheran Church Cemetery, Armstrong County, PA. They had 3 children. After Elizabeth died in 1903, the 3 children were raised in different homes. Russell went to live with his grandmother, Angeline Klingensmith Shearer; Violet went to live with her aunt and uncle, Samuel J. and Elizabeth Fick; and Henry stayed with his father in his Jack's grandparent's house. Wilson eventually remarried sometime after 1920 to Nettie Angeline Beal, daughter of Henry Peter Beal and Barbara Eleanor Shearer [see below].
a. Russell Edwin Jack was born 3 June 1895 in Armstrong County, PA and died on 23 April 1952 in Armstrong County, PA. Russell was a World War I veteran who landed at Brest on 30 May 1918 and fought in six major military drives. He was discharged from the service on 5 June 1919. Russell married Orphia Edith BEATTY, daughter of Harry P. Beatty and Ardilla Howell, on 30 May 1922. Orphia was born 12 October 1897 and died 15 March 1980 in Armstrong County, PA. They had 2 sons who both died as infants: Norman Edwin (1923-27 July 1923) and Dale Beatty (1924-10 August 1924). This family is buried in Bethel Lutheran Cemetery.
b. Violet Mae Jack was born 22 May 1897 and died July 1990. She married Clifton M. BENNETT, son of John Bennett and Mae Fennell, on 10 November 1920. Clifton was born 12 April 1895 and died 8 July 1978 in Allegheny County, PA. Clifton was a soldier during World War I. This couple is buried at Bethel Lutheran Cemetery. They had 1 son named Clifton Owen Bennett.
c. Henry Clair Jack was born 28 October 1900 in Armstrong County and died 9 November 1967. He married Mary M. KLINGENSMITH, daughter of Miles Herbert Klingensmith and Eliza Rebecca Lafferty, on 17 July 1921. Mary was born 16 April 1904 in Armstrong County and died 14 January 1931. Mary is buried at Zion Forks Lutheran Church Cemetery while Henry is buried at Bethel Lutheran Cemetery. Henry and Mary had 1 daughter named Evelyn "Jean" Jack (1924-1952) who married Merle DUSHANE. After Mary's death, Henry remarried to Ella M. who was born 1914.
BARBARA ELEANOR SHEARER (1844-1897)
Barbara Eleanor Shearer was born 9 May 1844 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 23 February 1897 in Venango County, PA. She married Henry "Peter" BEAL, son of Jacob Beal and Susanna Vrance, on 31 December 1867. Peter was born 9 January 1842 and died 27 December 1920 in Venango County, PA. This couple is buried in the Methodist Cemetery of Emlenton, Venango County, PA. Peter was a Civil War veteran serving 18 months with Company B, 78th Regiment of the Pennsylvania Volunteers. Peter and Barbara had nine children.
1. Nancy Christina Beal was born 9 January 1869 and died 5 May 1953. She most likely never married because she was living in her father's household in 1910 and 1920 census and was single.
2. Sarah Ellen Beal known as "Sadie" was born 14 October 1870 and died 17 February 1953. She married John V. GALLOWAY, son of James and Rachel Galloway. John died in 1916. They had 4 children: James Beal Galloway, Ethel Dorothy Galloway, Eleanor Galloway and Paul Galloway.
3. Otis Howard Beal was born 24 December 1872 and died 1875.
4. Alvin Shearer Beal was born 20 November 1874 in Venango County, PA and died 31 March 1946. He married Esther Emma BECHTEL, daughter of Isaac and Marie Bechtel, who was born about 1878 in Clarion County, PA. They had 4 children: Howard Peter Beal (17 October 1904-25 November 1995), Frederick Sterner Beal (born 1906), George Edwin Beal (27 January 1908-October 1981) and Clara Esther Beal (1910-1926). All were born in Venango County, PA.
5. Clara Olive Beal was born 20 November 1876 in Venango County, PA and died 13 December 1975 in Erie County, New York. Clara first married Joseph Rolla CARR, Sr., son of Orlando and Mary Carr. Joseph was born 1870 and died 25 June 1902. Clara and Joseph had 3 children: Gerald Harcourt Carr (born 31 October 1896), Lula Goldie Carr (who died prior to 1910), and Joseph Rolla, Carr Jr. (born 25 December 1900).
Clara remarried to Ernest Charles COBB, son of Simon and Theodosia Cobb, on 3 July 1916. Ernest was born 16 May 1875 in New York and died 1 August 1945. Clara and Ernest had 3 children: Naomi Olive Cobb (born about 1916), Simon Louis Cobb (born about 1918), Ruth Ernestine Cobb (born about 1920).
6. Nettie Angeline Beal was born 31 May 1879 and died 22 June 1970 in Armstrong County, PA. Nettie is buried in Bethel Lutheran Church Cemetery. She married Wilson H. JACK, the widower of Elizabeth Ellen Shearer [see above], sometime after 1920. Wilson was born 2 January 1869 and died 14 November 1962. Nettie and Wilson resided on the Jack Homestead in Kelly Station, Armstrong County, PA.
7. Francis Peter Beal was born 9 November 1881 and died March 1882.
8. Ida Lavinia Beal was born 6 November 1883 and died 8 August 1953. In the 1910 census, Ida was 26 years old and living with her aunt, Angeline Klingensmith Shearer.
9. Edwin Robert Beal was born 17 June 1888 and died 31 October 1915. He married Elsie REED. They married sometime after the 1910 census when Edwin was still living in his father's household.
SARAH JANE SHEARER (1846-1930)
Sarah Jane Shearer was born 24 February 1846 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 13 June 1930 in Armstrong County, PA. She married William Lawrence SIPES, son of William Sipes and Mary Boney, on 3 October 1871. William was born 3 August 1828 and died 22 September 1918 in Armstrong County, PA. William had been married previously to Martha BOYD who was born 1836 and died sometime prior to 1870. William and Martha had three sons: Nelson Sipes (1855), James Albert Sipes (born about 1859) and Elmer Sipes (10 March 1862). Sarah Jane Shearer and William Lawrence Sipes are buried in Slate Lick Cemetery, Armstrong County, PA. Some sources show the last name to be spelled SIPE with no "s". They had ten children. The 1900 census for this family also lists Hazel Reath Sipes born August 1892 in Armstrong County, PA as a granddaughter. She was raised in her grandparents' household and was unmarried at the age of 37 in the 1930 census.
1. Nancy Arlena Sipes was born July 1872 in Armstrong County, PA. The 1880 census lists her name as Helena. In 1910 census, Nancy R. Sipes is listed as 37 years of age and single.
2. Mary "Hilda" Sipes was born 29 April 1874 in Armstrong County, PA and died 19 November 1970. She married William J. HERVEY on 20 June 1894. William was born about 1859 in PA. They had 8 children: Mary Ann (born 5 May 1896), William Leroy (born 5 August 1897), Howard Clinton (19 May 1899 - 13 August 1986 in Michigan), Sarah Agnes (born 4 September 1901-July 1974) who married a Mr. COLLINS, James Ralston (23 January 1904 - 7 April 1979 in California), Olive Sabina (born about 1907), Ethel Frances (born in 1909 , and John Russell Sipes (born 15 March 1912-13 April 1994).
3. Clara Della Sipes was born 14 September 1876 in Armstrong County, PA and died 1924. She married Samuel Elmira SHEPHERD on 19 August 1899.
4. Colmer Evan Sipes was born 13 December 1878 in Armstrong County, PA. Colmer enlisted 28 June 1898 at the age of 19 in the Spanish American War into Company H, 9th Regiment, Illinois Infantry Volunteers. He was mustered out on 20 May 1899.
5. Florence Eleanor Sipes was born February 1881 in Armstrong County, PA.
6. Turman Lawrence Sipes was born August 1883 in Armstrong County, PA. He did not marry.
7. Anna Viola Sipes was born about 1884 in Armstrong County, PA and died in 1888 in Armstrong County as a young child.
8. Howard Franklin Sipes was born 29 January 1886 in Armstrong County, PA and died 11 April 1974. He married Jane E. PHILLIPS who was born about 1896 in PA. They had 7 children: William Franklin Sipes (born 1919), Sarah E. Sipes (born about 1921), John R. Sipes (born about 1923), Melvin R. Sipes (born 1930), Wilda Sipes, Violet Sipes, and Bernard Sipes.
9. Myrtle Elva Sipes was born April 1889 in Armstrong County, PA and died in 1924.
10. Minnie Mertilla Sipes was born 22 February 1892 in Armstrong County, PA and died November 1979 in Butler County, PA. She married Simon RUMBAUGH on 20 April 1915. Simon was born about 1890 in PA. In the 1930 census they had five children: Glen Rumbaugh (born about 1914), Clarence Rumbaugh (born about 1917), Mildred Rumbaugh (born about 1919), Clayton Rumbaugh (born about 1921) and Mary E. Rumbaugh (born about 1927).
SAMUEL JEREMIAH SHEARER (1851-1933)
Samuel Jeremiah Shearer was born 15 September 1851 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 8 September 1933 in Armstrong County, PA. He married Emily "Alice" DAVIS, daughter of George Lascher Davis and Nancy Jane Claypoole, on 3 July 1879. Alice was born 2 July 1858 in Armstrong County, PA and died 18 December 1938 in Armstrong County, PA. This couple is buried in Bethel Lutheran Cemetery, Armstrong County, PA. Samuel was a farmer. They had twelve children.
Samuel Jeremiah Shearer Family, 1916, Armstrong County, PA
BACK ROW L to R: Sarah Ellen Boyd, Mary Angeline Silvis, Rosa Belle Walker and Ida Wreathe Beck (twins),
Nancy "Myrtle" Shotts, Elizabeth Pearl Boyd, Samuel "Alvin" Shearer and Alice "Mae" South (twins)
FRONT ROW L to R: Jacob George Shearer, Alice Davis Shearer, Samuel J. Shearer,
Thomas Merle Shearer (twin of John who died), and Henry "Peter" Shearer in circle.
[photo graciously provided by Peg Stivenson Krecota]
1. Rosa Belle Shearer was born 15 September 1879 in Armstrong County, PA and died 20 June 1945 in Armstrong County, PA. She married Edwin Stanton WALKER, son of Samuel Walker and Sarah Guthrie, on 5 September 1906. Edwin was born 18 January 1866 and died 25 May 1954 in Armstrong County, PA. This couple is buried in Crooked Creek Presbyterian Cemetery, Armstrong County, PA. They had 2 daughters.
a. Sarah Ruth Walker (6 June 1909-30 September 1999) who married Arthur Frederick STIVENSON (6 May 1906-16 June 1966).
b. Martha Alice "Vera" Walker (13 August 1911-19 December 1994) who married Dean Ray HENRY (10 November 1913-21 October 1994).
2. Ida Wreathe Shearer was born 15 September 1879 in Armstrong County, PA and died 18 December 1973 in Woodworth, Ohio. She married Albert Ensley BECK, son of John L. Beck and Hannah Grimm, on 29 October 1901. Albert was born 19 May 1881 and died 11 January 1964 in Ohio. This couple moved to Youngstown, Ohio. They are buried in Lake Park Cemetery, Youngstown, Ohio. They had 4 children.
a. Ethel Rosa Beck (18 January 1902-26 March 1990) who married Walter Ford BUEHRLE (16 August 1900-26 September 1953).
b. Carl Edwin Beck (25 July 1903-30 July 1989) who married Ruth GODDARD (1903).
c. Floyd Ensley Beck (4 April 1906-October 1974).
d. Kenneth Bernard Beck (14 May 1908-14 August 1995) who married Mabel Alice HART (5 March 1912-8 January 1986).
3. Mary Angeline Shearer was born 25 October 1881 in Armstrong County, PA and died 27 March 1941 in Armstrong County, PA. She married Louden Melvin SILVIS, son of Morrison Silvis and Eliza E. Kelly, on 28 October 1902. Louden was born 26 May 1877 in Armstrong County, and died 4 January 1950 in Armstrong County, PA. This couple had no children. They are buried in Bethel Lutheran Cemetery, Armstrong County, PA.
4. Nancy "Myrtle" Shearer was born 13 May 1883 in Armstrong County, PA and died 22 July 1964 in Armstrong County, PA. She married Isaiah Josiah SHOTTS, son of Levi Shotts and Leah Rebecca Spang, on 28 August 1901. Isaiah was born 1 November 1876 in Armstrong County, PA and died 3 September 1953 in Armstrong County, PA. Myrtle and Isaiah are buried in Bethel Lutheran Cemetery, Armstrong County, PA. Isaiah and Myrtle had 7 children.
a. Alice Rebecca Shotts (27 May1902-4 Feb1999) who married John Ellsworth HILTY (30 March 1883-9 October 1966)
b. Murray Warren Shotts (28 December 1903-27 October 1970) who married Edna Ruth KLINGENSMITH (3 June 1911-17 February 1983)
c. Samuel Louden Shotts (11 August 1906-29 May 1997) who married Geraldine BALSINGER (18 September 1912- 29 June 1999)
d. Melvin George Shotts (29 July 1911-19 June 1994) who married Naomi HAMILTON (27 May 1915 - 28 March 1978)
e. Roxie Mae Shotts (11 April 1914- 8 April 2007) who married Ralph Eugene WEIMER (23 November 1912-1 October 2004)
f. Ray Louis Shotts (29 July 1919-29 August 1991) who married Julia PENCEK (12 May 1919 -7 November 1967) and second married Jean Irene HINTON (27 May 1915)
g. John Edward Shotts (3 November 1921-24 April 2006) who married Ethel Jean ROSENSTEEL (born 1925).
5. Jacob George Shearer was born 15 July 1885 in Armstrong County, PA and died 25 August 1970 in Armstrong County, PA. He married Clara Mae BOYD, daughter of Francis Boyd and Mary Darbarker, on 15 October 1909. Clara was born 28 July 1888 in Armstrong County, PA and died 6 January 1948 in Armstrong County, PA. This couple is buried at Bethel Lutheran Cemetery, Armstrong County, PA. They had 8 children.
a. Mary Emily Shearer (1910-1911).
b. Clarence Blair Shearer (25 November 1911-12 June 1982) who married Vivian HAHN (9 May 1913 - 28 June 1997).
c. Dorothy "Irene" Shearer (18 February 1916-27 February 2003) who married Howard G. HYNICK (19 August 1902-15 November 1994).
d. Merle Edwin Shearer (21 October 1918-9 May 2002) who married Mary Lou GREGORY (1918-16 October 1988).
e. Rose Elva Shearer (9 October 1921- 7 January 2008 ) who married Pierce TERRY.
f. Lester George Shearer (16 January 1924-26 September 2000) who married Ilene OREM.
g. Olive Lucille Shearer (born 1926) who married Herbert Merlin SHEARER (25 March 1926-1 November 2005).
h. Melvin Clair Shearer, Sr. (23 February 1931-25 April 2003) who married Eleanor Claire FENNELL (22 February 1939-30 April 1995).
6. Sarah Ellen Shearer was born 1 April 1888 in Armstrong County, PA and died 23 November 1970 in Armstrong County, PA. She had a child before her first marriage. Sarah married Samuel H. BOYD, son of Samuel Boyd and Delilah Claypoole, on 30 December 1908. Samuel was born 28 November 1873 in Armstrong County, PA and died 23 June 1951 in Armstrong County, PA. This couple is buried at Lawn Haven Cemetery in Kittanning, Armstrong County, PA. Samuel and Sarah had 3 children. Sarah married again after Samuel's death to Rev. John F. MOORE. John was born 12 April 1882 and died 31 December 1974.
a. Leon Melvin Shearer who was born 25 December 1906 in Armstrong County, PA and died 10 May 1958. He was raised in his maternal grandparent's home and later married Alice HEILMAN who was born 30 July 1910.
b. Lawrence Clair Boyd, the son of Sarah and Samuel, was born 1910 and died 1931.
c. Thomas Louden Boyd, the son of Sarah and Samuel, was born 28 August 1911 and died 5 January 2003. He married Julia Belle GRAY who was born 8 November 1915 and died 19 September 2002.
d. Lois Mae Boyd, the daughter of Sarah and Samuel, was born 23 May 1921 and died 6 August 2002. She married James Rolland GRADY who was born 1928 and died 3 February 1977.
7. Elizabeth Pearl Shearer was born 4 October 1890 in Armstrong County, PA and died 5 April 1965 in Armstrong County, PA. She married Ernest "Roy" BOYD, son of Francis Boyd and Mary Darbarker, on 3 December 1912. Roy was born 21 November 1891 and died 24 January 1960 in Armstrong County, PA. This couple is buried in Bethel Lutheran Cemetery, Armstrong County, PA. This couple had 4 children:
a. Ada Pearl Boyd (19 December 1912- February 1983) who first married Richard Albert KUNKLE (1913-1941) and then married John Jacob LAUX (born 1907).
b. Beulah Mae Boyd (27 July 1916-25 October 2004) who married Fred Albert HEILMAN (23 October 1918-30 March 2002).
c. Gladys Jean Boyd (1923-1957).
d. Stanley Dean Boyd (15 January 1928-5 August 1998) who married Rose Marie GRANTZ (19 April 1934-19 October 2008).
8. Thomas Merle Shearer was born 6 June 1893 in Armstrong County, PA and died 20 April 1964. Thomas was a World War I veteran serving with the 695th Engineers, Company C, 8th Corp in Europe. Thomas married Christine Mary SOUTH, daughter of Charles Winfield South, Sr. and Ida Klingensmith, on 21 January 1922. Christine was born 20 March 1904 and died 16 November 1977 in Armstrong County, PA. Ida is buried in Zion (Forks) Lutheran Church in Gilpin Township, Armstrong County, PA. They had 2 children.
a. Mary Louise Shearer (23 June 1922-19 February 2000).
b. Glenn Merle Shearer (24 1924-31 July 1991) who married Lois Kathleen SEYBERT (born 1931).
9. John Earle Shearer was born 6 June 1893 in Armstrong County and died 11 August 1895 in Armstrong County, PA. John and Thomas were twins.
10. Alice "Mae" Shearer was born 22 April 1897 in Armstrong County, PA and died 19 August 1980 in Armstrong County, PA. Alice is buried at Homewood Baptist Cemetery, Bethel Township, Armstrong County, PA. She married William Albert SOUTH, son of Charles Winfield South, Sr. and Ida Klingensmith, on 28 January 1925. William was born 14 December 1902 and died 9 January 1950 in Armstrong County, PA. They had 2 sons.
a. Dale Eugene South (14 February 1928-February 4, 2011).
b. William Alvin South (29 March 1932 - 25 September 2010) who married Loretta KUNST (born 1939).
11. Samuel "Alvin" Shearer was born 22 April 1897 in Armstrong County and died 9 August 1965. Samuel was a twin of Alice Mae. Samuel married Zeda V. HILEMAN, daughter of Merret Hileman and Emma Farrester, on 16 April 1919. Zeda was born 9 September 1897 and died 18 September 1970 in Armstrong County, PA. Zeda is buried in Homewood Baptist Cemetery, Bethel Township, Armstrong County, PA. They had 3 daughters.
a. Erma Mae Shearer (23 October 1919-22 March 2006) who married David F. McKELVEY (9 December 1917- 30 October 2008).
b. Lillian Gail Shearer (born 1921) who married Fred L. BOWSER (born 1920).
c. Eleanor Jean Shearer (1928-9 December 1985) who married Jack Jay FICKES, Jr. (27 March 1927-12 January 2007).
12. Henry "Peter" Shearer was born 25 May 1900 in Armstrong County, PA and died 6 April 1984 in Armstrong County, PA. He is buried at Forks (Zion) Church, Gilpin Township, Armstrong County, PA He married Carrie Pearl BECK, daughter of Robert Beck and Susie Heckman, on 5 September 1923. Carrie was born 10 March 1901 and died 16 October 1952 in Armstrong County, PA. They had 3 children. Peter later married Sylvia M. HEILMAN/DAVIS. Sylvia was born 28 April 1898 and died 27 October 1994 in Armstrong County, PA.
a. Lawrence "Gerald" Shearer (18 July 1925-11 October 1997) who married Donalyne Fay SHUMAKER (4 September 1926-14 January 1999).
b. George Dean Shearer (born 1928) who married Ruby Mae BOYD (born 1933).
c. Grace Alice Belle Shearer (born 1938) who married Douglas R. SEITAM (born 1938).
If you would like further information or care to share information on this Shearer line, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Margaret "Peg" Stivenson Krecota
• John Jacob Shearer
• Betsy Beck Murphy
• Pamela Carr-Tack
• Michael J. Stewart for making his genealogy information available on the internet.