HENRY KNAPPENBERGER FAMILY
OF WESTMORELAND COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA
AND ILLINOIS AND MISSOURI AND KANSAS
Henry Knappenberger was born 17 May 1798 in Franklin Township, Westmoreland County, PA. He was the eldest son of John Knappenberger and grandson of Conrad Knappenberger. Henry remained in Westmoreland County but many of his children moved westward in search of new land and opportunities. Henry died 17 July 1854 in Westmoreland County, PA and is buried in Denmark Manor Church cemetery. The 1850 census indicates Henry was a farmer with his wife, Hannah and their children. A biography on Hannah indicates that this couple had 17 children with three dying young.
Henry married Hannah PAINTER, the daughter of George and Catherine BENDER, on 18 June 1824 in Westmoreland County, PA. The German name Bender was changed to Painter with this generation due to its German pronunciation. [See Spelling Variations] Hannah was born 4 March 1804 in Manordale, Westmoreland County, PA and died 4 August 1889 in Andrew County, Missouri and buried in Whitesville Cemetery. From a biography written about her son, John, in 1883 we learn "His mother, however, formerly Miss Hannah Painter, is still living at an advanced age, and is a resident of Andrew County, Missouri a venerable and motherly old lady, highly esteemed by all who know her."
From Vinnie Knappenberger's family history of 1916 we learn,
"Henry died in 1854 and was buried in Denmark Manor Churchyard. His wife with all her sons and daughters but Moses and Katherine moved to Illinois and later to Missouri where she later died and where her children and children's children still live. Among their number are farmers, teachers, business and professional men and women, a strong, sturdy, intelligent race. Many of this branch became members of the Christian Church, and like their early ancestors have been and are active workers in their church homes."
LUCINDA KNAPPENBERGER (1825-1873)
Lucinda was born 31 January 1825 in Franklin Township, Westmoreland County, PA and died 20 February 1873 in Sciota Township, McDonough County, Illinois. She married Israel ALLSHOUSE, son of Isaac Israel Allshouse and Magdalene Margaret Miniam, on 29 February 1844 in Westmoreland County, PA. Israel was born 4 February 1820 in Salem Township, Westmoreland County, PA and died 13 March 1904 in Sciota, McDonough County, Illinois. This couple had 5 children: Margaret, Mary Jane, Hannah, Arabella and Henry. For more information and for photos of this family, click on her name above.
MOSES KNAPPENBERGER (1826-1898)
Moses was born 7 January 1826 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 7 April 1898 in Jeannette, Westmoreland County, PA. He had a child with Catherina Anna KISTLER, daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth Kistler, named Elizabeth Hanna Knappenberger born 6 January 1850 - but this couple did not marry. Moses married Magdalene CRUSHORE known as "Martha", daughter of Johann George Crushore and Anna Elizabeth Margaret Baugham, about 1851. Moses and Martha had 9 children: Margaret Elisabeth, Mary Caroline, George Washington, Sara Emma A., Henry J., Darwin Taylor, William, James Gregg, and Jane Annie C. For more information on this family, click on his name above.
GEORGE W. KNAPPENBERGER (1827-1897)
George W. was born 3 August 1827 in Manordale, Westmoreland County, PA and died 4 September 1897 in Good Hope, McDonough County, Illinois. He married Marjorie Lavina LENHART, daughter of Abraham Lenhart and Sarah Byerly, on 17 March 1850 in Westmoreland County, PA. Marjorie was born 20 December 1828 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 1 January 1907 in Good Hope, Illinois. This couple had 9 children: Henry, Francis J. "Frank", John, Ella May, Charles D., Iva Belle, George Burton (Bert), Clarence A., and Harvey Chase. For more information on this family including many photos, click on the name above.
AARON KNAPPENBERGER (1828-?)
Aaron was born about 1828 in Westmoreland County, PA and died at a young age. He was one of three children who died in early childhood.
JOHN K. KNAPPENBERGER (1829-1902)
John K. was born 13 October 1829 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 21 October 1902 in Brunswick, Chariton County, Missouri. He married Mary Jane ROSS on 11 January 1853 in McDonough County, Illinois. Mary was born 30 October 1835 in Tippecanoe County, Indiana and died 20 February 1907. This couple had eight children: H. Arabella, James Edward, William Albert, Harry Douglas, Meredith Archer, Nellie O., Eva L., and Robert. For more information on this family, click on the name above.
MARGARET ANN KNAPPENBERGER (1832-1910 (Updated December 23, 2016))
Ann Margaret (or Margaret Ann) was born31 March 1832 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 12 April 1910 in Union Star, DeKalb County, Missouri. She married John Wesley CORDER, son of Phillip T. Corder and Julia Ann Head, on 12 September 1858 in McDonough County, Illinois. John was born 28 October 1831 in Knox County, Illinois and died 1 April 1874 in DeKalb County, Missouri. About 1865, this couple moved to Missouri. The 1880 census for Polk Township, DeKalb County, Missouri lists Ann M. Corder as a widow with six children: Philip Timothy, Charles H., William, Julia Ann, Della N., and John. Margaret and John are buried in Flag Springs Cemetery, Andrew County, Missouri.
Ann Margaret [Knappenberger] Corder
[photo graciously provided by Claylain Wilson Starr]
Vinnie Knappenberger's family history stated that this family moved to Colorado, and many of the children did move there just after 1900, and then some moved onto California.
1. Philip Timothy Corder known as "Tim" was born December 1859 in Illinois and died9 April 1933 in Englewood, Colorado. He married Jennie B. TENNAL who was born 4 April 1862 inBlack Hawk, Colorado and died3 May 1944 in Great Falls, Montana. In 1900, they were living in Atchison, Kansas and in 1910 this family was living in Arapahoe County, Colorado. The family story states that this family moved from Kansas to Colorado via horse and wagon. They had three children.
a. Della Emma Corder was born 28 July 1883 in Atchison, Kansas and died 7 February 1921 in Hays, Kansas. Prior to her marriage, Della was a school teacher in Atchison, Kansas. She married Ollie Jacob BROWN, son of Jacob Madison Brown and Sarah Catherine Cozine, about 1910. Ollie was born 9 February 1881 in Anderson County, Kentucky and died 1 September 1953 in Des Moines, Iowa. Della died at the birth of their daughter Betty Fay She was buried in Mount Vernon Cemetery, Atchison County, Kansas. Ollie remarried in 1923 to Ruth Stevenson, and, in 1930, this family was living in Russell, Kansas where Ollie was a hotel operator. Della and Ollie had two children.
CorderTravis Brown was born 5 June 1915 in Nebraska according to the 1930 census and died in15 December 1955. He married Vera CARUTHERS who was born 21 Nov 1915 and died 18 May 2001. They are buried in Mount Vernon Cemetery, Atchison County, Kansas..
Betty Fay Brown was born20 December 1920 in Hays, Kansas and died 24 February2012 in Colorado Springs, Colorado.. She marriedBurnett GREGG in May 1950 who was born 22 June 1913 and died 14 Nov 1966 in Colorado. Betty later married Charles R. MARTIN in April 1968 who died in December 1999..
b. Carl David Corder was born 23 August 1885 in Wichita, Kansas and died 8 September 1988 in Seattle, Washington at the age of 103. Carl married MamieLouise. TALBOTT about1917 in Colorado.. Mamie was born 20 April 1894 in Missouri and died5 December 1973 in Seattle, Washington. Carl was involved in the horse trading business. They had five children.
Catherine (Catheryn) Corder born 4 June 1918 inArapahoe County, Coloradoand died 19 Dec 2010 in Sandoval County, New Mexico. Catherine married RalphClarence ABBOTT in September 1930. Ralph was born 8 June 1916 in Colorado and died October 1979 inValencia County, New Mexico.
Carl David Corder, Jr. known as "Bud" born 23 September 1919 inArapahoe County, Colorado and died 18 August 1999 inKing County, Washington. He married Rosa KERNS in 1946. She died inFebruary 1975 in Snohomish County, Washington. She is buried in Mt. Moriah Cemetery, Silver Bow County, Montana.. He then married Myrtle Aniksdal(former married name of Ness)daughter of Arne Aniksdal, in 1976 Myrtle was born 1932 in Silver Bow County, Montana and died 20 June 2013 in Snohomish County, Washington. Bud and Myrtle are buried in Mountain View Cemetery, Butte, Silver Bow County, Montana..
Talbot Corder born5 August 1921 inArapahoe County, Colorado and died 1 Nov 2012 in Cascade County, Montana. He married WilmaHeydt, daughter of Erwin Heydtand Delight Perrin, on 20 June 1942 in Cascade County, Montana. Wilma was born 1921..
Carol Corder born 1924 in Colorado. She married Lawrence Peck in 1941.
John "David" Corder born 1929 in Colorado. He married Virginia Belle Morgan.
Carl David Corder Family, Circa 1932
FRONT ROW: Carol, John, Talbot
BACK ROW: Carl, Mamie, Catheryn, Carl, Jr. (Bud)
[photo graciously provided by John D. Corder of Graniteville, Illinois]
c. FayBetty Corder was born June 1888 in Kansas and died24 October 1918 inArapahoe County, Colorado during the flu epidemic of that year. In the 1910 census, Fay was living with her parents in Arapahoe County, Colorado and was listed as a stenographer by trade. She was unmarried She is buried in Littleton Cemetery, Arapahoe County, Colorado..
2. Charles Henry Corder was born 5 September 1861 in Macomb, McDonough County, Illinois and died 5 November 1943 in Los Angeles County, California. Charles' first marriage was to IdaC.n MOYES, daughter of George and Ann Moyes. Ida was born 17 September 1860 in Pennsylvania and died 11 October 1885 in DeKalb County, Missouri. Charles and Ida had two children
Charles' second marriage was to Eva J.GANOTE,, daughter ofGeorge Ganote and Rosina Hill.. Evahad been married previously to a Mr. WISE and had a daughter. Eva was born in 15 January 1862 in Indiana and died 25 December 1926 in DeKalb County, Missouri. In the 1920 census, Charles and Eva were living in Polk Township, DeKalb County. In 1930, the widowed Charles had retired from the lumber business to Long Beach, California All 3 of them (Charles, Ida and Eva) are buried in Union Star Cemetery, DeKalb County, Missouri..
Charles Henry Corder and Ida Ann [Moyes] Corder, first wife of Charles Henry Corder
[photos graciously provided by Claylain Wilson Starr]
a. FrankC. Corder was the son of Charles and Ida. He was born22 February 1883 in Union Star, DeKalb County, Missouri and died in19376 in Lancaster, Kansas. When his mother died, he was raised by his paternal grandmother, Margaret "Ann" Knappenberger Corder. Frank eventually took over the operation of his grandmother's farm in Union Star Frank married Mabel G. KEMP about 1910. Mabel was born in 1886 in Missouri and died in 1975. Frank and Mabel are buried in Union Star Cemetery, DeKalb County, Missouri. They had a daughter: Julia "Virginia" Corder who was born 4 March 1918 and died 1 June 2003. She married Charles Richard Gigstad who was born 11 December 1914 and died 15 August 1996..
b. Ida "Beatrice" Corder was the daughter of Charles and Ida. She was born 19 September 1884 in in Union Star, DeKalb County, Missouri and died 31 July 1938 in Long Beach, Los Angeles County, California. She married Charles Dean HAYES, son of Cadmus B. Hayes and Florence E. Dean, on 21 April 1903. Charles was born 14 January 1879 in Union Star, Missouri and died 21 October 1932 in Fairfield, Clay County, Nebraska. They are buried in Fairfield Cemetery, Clay County, Nebraska. This family moved between Missouri and Nebraska in the 1920s and 1930s but ended up in Long Beach, Los Angeles County, California. They had four children.
Alice May Hayes was born 28 April 1904 in DeKalb County, Missouri and died 20 February 1989 in Long Beach, California. She married Wallace Leon WILSON in 1925. Wallace was born 27 September 1902 in Nebraska and died 5 January 1990 in Long Beach, California.
Bryon Corder Hayes was born 7 May 1907 in Clay County, Nebraska and died 14 January 1926 in Clay County, Nebraska He is buried in Fairfield Cemetery..
Frank Moyes Hayes known as "Sandy" was born 4 July 1909 in Clay County, Nebraska and died 23 November 1969 in Long Beach, California. He married Cleora Sheppard VAUGHN in 1932 They had two daughters..
Helen Bernice Hayes known as "Petie" was born 6 December 1912 in DeKalb County, Missouri and died 4 November 1997 in Long Beach, California. She married Edward Clarence BARNES in 1936. Edward was born 23 February 1911 in Nebraska and died 28 July 1973 in Long Beach, California They had two sons..
3. William Corder was born September 1863 in McDonough County, Illinois and died sometime1934.. He married Ida A.HADDIX, daughter of Andrew J. Haddix and Armilda E. Dunn, about 1885. Ida was born December18667 in Kansas and diedin 1945. In the 1920 census, this family was living in Whiting Township, Jackson County, Kansas. In the 1930 census, this family was living in Camp Branch Township, Cass County, Missouri with William listed as a farmer. William and Ida had one daughter.
a. Aetna F. Corder was born February 1887 in Washington state and died 5 July 1958 in Elma, Grays Harbor, Washington. In the 1920 census, she was 29 years old, single, and a grade school teacher. In the 1930 census, she continued to live with her parents and was 40 years old, single, and a high school teacher. Aetna died 5 July 1958 in Grays Harbor, Washington. She never married William, Ida and Aetna are buried together in Union Star Cemetery, DeKalb County, Missouri..
4. Julia Ann Corder was born June 1866 in Missouri and died after 1930 in California. She married Joseph W. LIGGETT, son of Johnw. Liggett and Bernice M.Langford, on 19 Sept 1893 inGentry County, Missouri. Joe was born May 1865 in Missouri and died16 September 1937 in California. In 1910, Joe Liggett is a lumberman in Denver, Colorado. In the 1920 census, this couple is running a hotel in Denver, Colorado. And in 1930, they are landlords for a rooming house in Oceanside, San Diego County, California. This couple had no children.
5. Della N. Corder was born March 1867 in Missouri. Della remained on the farm in Missouri helping her mother. In the 1900 census, Della is listed as 33 years of age and single. Della apparently never married. In 1910, Della is living in Denver, Colorado with her married sister, Julia and her husband, Joe. She is listed as 39 years of age and single Nothing further is known at this time..
6. John Wesley Corder was born 15 September1874 in DeKalb County, Missouri and died 4 November 1958 in Orange County, California. He married Amy B. [maiden name unknown] about 1909. Amy was born 13 December 1885 in Colorado and died 8 October 1977 in Los Angeles County, California. Her California death records do not indicate her mother's or her father's surname. In the 1920 census, John Corder and his wife, Amy, were living in Lemoore Township, Kings County, California. In 1930, they were running an apartment complex in Long Beach, California. No children were listed for this couple.
Special thanks to John David Corder and Claylain Starr for their assistance with the Corder Family!
CATHERINE KNAPPENBERGER (1833-1904 (Updated November 13, 2016))
Catherine was born 15 February 1833 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 2 March 1904 in Westmoreland County, PA. She married Isaac W. WENTZEL, son of John Wentzel and Susanna Miller, on 12 October 1854 in Westmoreland County, PA. Isaac was born 16 March 1832 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 17 March 1905 in Westmoreland County, PA. Isaac fought in the Civil War as a Private enlisting 14 March 1864. They are buriedin Harrold's Reformed Churchh Cemetery, Westmoreland County, PA. Catherine and Isaac had 3 children.
1. James Coulter Wentzel born 10 July 1855 in Westmoreland County, PA and died in 1932 in Greensburg, Westmoreland County, PA. He married AnnaMae BAER, daughter of Phillip S. Baer and Leah Steiner, on 18 April 1878 in Westmoreland County. Anna wasborn7 Decembern 1858in Pittsburgh, PA and died8 April 1937 in Westmoreland County, PA. This family is buriedin Harrold's Reformed Church Cemetery (also listed as St. John's Reformed Cemetery, Hempfield Twp., Westmoreland County, PA).. They had 3 sons.
a. Arthur W. Wentzel was born December 1878 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 16 July 1890 in Westmoreland County, PA. He is buriedin Harrold's Church Cemetery.
b. James "Garfield" Wentzel was born2 May 1881 and died10 March 1944 in Westmoreland County, PA. He was a civil engineer and did not marry. He is buriedin Harrold's Church Cemetery.
c. William F. Wentzel was born20 January 1886 and died4 February 1946 in Westmoreland County, PA. He was a music teacher and never married. He is buriedin Harrold's Church Cemetery.
2. Henry Abner Wentzell was born 13 October 1856 in Westmoreland County, PA and die 8 August 1941 in Westmoreland County, PA. He married Mary Jane GOODLIN, daughter of Henry Goodlin and Mary J. Harrold, on 11 March 1880 in Westmoreland County, PA. Mary was born 28 August 1856in Westmoreland County, PA and died 11 February 1934 in Westmoreland County, PA. They are buriedat Harrold's Reformed Churchh Cemetery. This couple had 2 children.
a. Minnie Jeanette Wentzell was born 28 December 1880 and died 2 March 1976 in Westmoreland County, PA. She never married and lived with her parents She is buried with them..
b. Charles Homer Wentzell was born 25 December 1884 and died 10 January 1952 in Westmoreland County, PA . Charles Homer married TwylaKiehl. SCOTT, daughter of Edward P. Scott and Anna B.Hawk,, about 1910. Twyla was born5 April 1891 in Westmoreland County, PAand died3 June 1955 in Greensburg, PA. They are buriedin Harrold's Church Cemetery (St. John's Reformed Cemetery).. They had 3 children.
Helen Rosalie Wentzell was born 1 December 1912 in Westmoreland County, PA and died there 2 January 1989. She was first married at the age of 17 but this marriage did not last. On 1 December 1934, she married Hiram Roger PORTER, son of Frank S. Porter. Hiram was born 7 March 1908 in Fayette County, PA and diedMarch 1995 in Westmoreland County, PA.
Charles Scott Wentzell was born 10 January 1914 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 24 January 1993 in Pasco County, Florida. He first married Rita Marie O'Connell, daughter of Albert Edward O;Connell and Katherine E. Earley. Rita was born 20 June 1920 in Rhode Island and died there 5 December 1947. They had 3 children. Charles then married Eleanor "Marie" HETLER, daughter of Alvin Hetler and Sally Root, on 25 May 1950 in Latrobe, Westmoreland County, PA. Marie was born 30 July 1916 in Fayette County, PA and died 19 November 2006 inPasco County, Florida.
John "Richard" Wentzell was born 14 May 1916 in Westmoreland County, PA and died there on 31 October 2006. He married Nancy K. THOMPSON who was born 20 October 1922 and died August 1983. Richard served with the US Army in World War II. Richard is buried in Harrolds Zion Lutheran Cemetery. They had two daughters.
3. Alice Lucinda Wentzel was born 18 April 1859 in Westmoreland County and die 2 August 1935 in Westmoreland County, PA. She married JohnMichael. KEENER, son of Michael G.Keener and ElizabethSnyder,, about 1882. John was born27 July 1857 in Westmoreland County, PA and died there 11 May 1938. This couple had 4 children.
a. Bertha L. Keener known as "Birdie" was born 10 June 1882 and died December 1977 in Westmoreland County, PA. She married Edward Jacob SHUEY, son of David Shuey and Margaret M. Kettering, about 1904. J. Edward was born 6 April 1882 in Westmoreland County, PA and died there20 January 1954.. They are buriedin Harrold's Church Cemetery. They had 6 children - all born in Greensburg, Westmoreland County, PA
John Ed Shuey (30 July 1905-July 1975 who married Sally (1907-1986))
Geraldine Marie Shuey (8 November 1907-17 May 2006) who married a Mr. Stinson. Buried Harrold Zion Lutheran Cemetery.
Evelyn Shuey (19 July 1909-28 November 1991) who married a Mr. Duggan.
Jean E. Shuey born 3 August 1912 and died 20 December 2002. Buried Harrold Zion Lutheran Cemetery.
Helen Shuey (9 September 1914-9 May 1994) who married a Mr. Greno.
Donald Ray Shuey (10 March 1924-15 February 1991)
b. Homer Leon Keener, Sr. was born 2 December 1884 and died 2 July 1949 in Westmoreland County, PA. Homer married Clara Margaret WALLRABENSTEIN about 1909. Clara was born 12 May 1891 and died 19 January 1959 in Westmoreland County, PA. They had 5 children.
Ruth Elizabeth Keener was born 5 January 1910 and died 6 October 1994 in Greensburg, Westmoreland County, PA. She never married. Buried Westmoreland County, Memorial Park.
Homer Leon Keener, Jr. was born 5 August 1911 and died March 1983 in Westmoreland County, PA. He married Emmy Lou ZERCHER, daughter of William R. Zercher and Mary Stephenson, on 7 November 1935. Emmy Lou was born 1 October 1912 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 1 October 1959.
Dorothy Alice Keener was born 2 June 1914 and died 2 July 1994 in Greensburg, Westmoreland County, PA. She married Richard Lloyd BROOKS, Sr. Richard was born 4 September 1913 and died 12 June 1996 in Westmoreland County, PA.
John Richard Keener known as "Jack" was born 13 February 1919 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 3 July 1942 in Bataan, The Philippines during World War II He is buried in Manila American Cemetry and Memorial, Phillippines..
Martha Rose Keener was born 23 May 1923 and died 7 February 1998 inLee County, Florida. She married Frank Charles VIERLING, Sr. in 1945. Frank was born 30 December 1921 inChicago, Illinois and died 16 August 2000 inPolk County Florida.
c. Hilda E. Keener born 18 May 1887 in Greensburg, Westmoreland County, PA and died August 1971 in Westmoreland County, PA. She married Charles Frederick DeVAUX, son of Rev. Martin Van Buren DeVaux and his wife, Augusta, in 1919. Charles was born 8 February 1889 in Brush Valley, Indiana County, PA and died 22 April 1955 in Westmoreland County, PA. They are buried in Harrold Zion Lutheran Cemetery. They had one daughter:
Betty June DeVaux was born8 September 1919 in Greensburg, Westmoreland County,PA and died 28 May 2012 in PA. She married FrankLee. Gorinsky, son of JohnGorinsky and AgnesUrban, on 30 August 1947 in Winchester, Virginia... Frank was born 16 August 1916 in Westmoreland County, PA and died there 21 February 1996.
d. Lemuel O. Keener was born 16 February 1891 in Westmoreland County, PA and died October 1971 in Westmoreland County, PA. He married Harriet K. HOFFER, daughter of Jacob Hoffer and Catherine Kettering, on 19 September 1919. She was born 3 September 1890 and died19833 in Westmoreland County, PA. They are buried inHarrold's Church Cemetery. They had an infant son (unnamed) who was born and died in 1921 in Westmoreland County, PA. He is buried with his parents in Harrold Zion Lutheran Cemetery.
SARAH M. KNAPPENBERGER (1834-1917)
Sarah M. known as "Sallie" was born 11 November 1834 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 30 October 1917 in Andrew County, Missouri. She never married. She is buried in Whitesville Cemetery, Andrew County, Missouri along with her mother and a number of her siblings. She raised two of her sister's children (Elizabeth Allen): Charles Allen and Britt Allen, after the death of their mother in the early 1870s.
SOLOMON KNAPPENBERGER (1834-?)
Solomon was born in 1834 in Westmoreland County, PA and possibly was the twin of Sarah. Solomon, however, did not survive childhood.
HANNAH KNAPPENBERGER (1835-1884)
Hannah was born 10 September 1835 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 30 September 1884 in Emmet Township, McDonough County, Illinois. Hannah moved to Illinois in 1855 with her family and married John W.H. McLEOD on 16 January 1876 in McDonough County, Illinois. John was born 1836 in Winchester, Virginia and died January 1886 in Emmet Township, McDonough County, Illinois. This couple had no children. John was a farmer.
HENRY A. KNAPPENBERGER (1837-1914)
Henry was born 7 June 1837 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 8 November 1914 in Earlsboro, Seminole County, Oklahoma. He married Anna Mary SHAW on 29 August 1869 in Andrew County, Missouri. Anna was born 14 April 1839 in Ohio or Illinois and died 9 November 1878 in Andrew County, Missouri. Henry and Anna had one son that lived to adulthood: George L. Knappenberger. Henry remarried after the death of his first wife to Martha Elvira DEAN on 15 February 1880. Martha was born 26 December 1860 and died 2 September 1948 in Shawnee, Oklahoma. Henry and Martha had five children: Frank, Agnes, Alma, Homer, and Clarence. For more information on this family, click on his name above.
ELIAS KNAPPENBERGER (1838-1917)
Elias known as "Eli" was born 7 December 1838 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 4 May 1917 in Andrew County, Missouri. Elias married Mary C. JACOBY, daughter of Andrew Jacoby and Ann Jones, on 20 October 1861 in McDonough County, Illinois. She was born 9 July 1838 in Pennsylvania and died 2 November 1915 in Andrew County, Missouri. Eli and Mary are buried in Flag Springs Cemetery in Andrew County, Missouri. They had one son.
1. Henry Knappenberger known as "Harry" was born 12 August 1862 in McDonough County, Illinois and died 1 June 1925 in Polk Township, DeKalb County, Missouri. Harry married Alice E. JENKINS, daughter of David F. Jenkins and Mary J. Martin on 9 October 1889 in Buchanan County, Missouri. Alice was born 5 June 1866 in Missouri and died 13 October 1921 in Missouri. In the 1920 census, Harry was living in Polk Township, DeKalb County, Missouri with his family. Harry and Alice adopted a son and a daughter.
a. Harry and Alice adopted a son named Raymond Lee Knappenberger (birth name was Raymond Lee Benton) who was born 19 July 1907 in Pemenssot County, Missouri and died in December 1967 in Andrew County, Missouri. Raymond Lee Knappenberger married Nina Virginia McCAULEY, daughter of Noah Andrew McCauley and Flossie Davis. Nina was born 12 December 1907 in DeKalb County, Missouri and died 21 September 1996 in Ray County, Missouri. Raymond and Nina are buried in Whitesville Cemetery, Andrew County, Missouri. This couple had a son.
Harry Raymond Knappenberger who was born 3 February 1930 in Andrew County, Missouri and died 19 August 1996 in Liberty, Missouri. He is buried in Whitesville Baptist Church Cemetery. He married Irene Elizabeth SCHILDKNECHT on 11 December 1950 in Savannah, Missouri. They had two sons: Ray and Randy.
b. The 1920 census for Harry and Alice also lists another child named Gertrude who was 10 years old at the time and would have been adopted as well. Gertrude Mae Knappenberger was born 15 November 1909 in Missouri and died 12 January 1991 in St. Joseph, Missouri. She married Ray W. GABHART in 1929. Ray was born 7 December 1905 in Missouri and died June 1985 in St. Joseph, Missouri. They are buried in St. Joseph Memorial Park. They had five children.
Dorothy "Helen" Gabhart
Joan Gabhart (30 December 1930 - May 1999)
Wilton R. Gabhart (6 November 1934-25 January 1992)
Linda Kay Gabhart (12 July 1947 - 1 April 2003)
Special thanks to Monica Schirmer Eshelman for her assistance with this family.
HARRIETT KNAPPENBERGER (1841-1908)
Harriett, also known as "Henrietta", was born 8 May 1841 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 5 January 1908 in Andrew County, Missouri. She married Nelson EDWARDS, son of Nathan and Tabitha Edwards on 4 February 1869 in Andrew County, Missouri. Nelson was born 6 November 1841 in Indiana and died 12 February 1930 in Andrew County, Missouri. Harriett and Nelson are buried in Whitesville Cemetery in Andrew County, Missouri along with their son, Arthur. In the 1870 census, Harriet and Nelson were living in Irwin Township, Brown County, Kansas with Harriet's sister, Elizabeth and her husband, J.B. Allen working as grocers. In the1880 census, this family was living in Platte Township, Andrew County, Missouri with one son, Arthur, age 6, and a niece, Gabrilla Allen, age 11 [see below]. In the 1920 census, Nelson is widowed and his niece, Gay Allen, is keeping house for him. Also in the household is a great-niece, Merse Allen, age 22, single and a teacher.
1. Arthur Charles Edwards was born October 1873 in Brown County, Kansas and died 12 February 1950 in St. Joseph, Buchanan County, Missouri. He married Ella S. (maiden name unknown) about 1895. Ella was born December 1875 in Iowa. They had one child.
a. Elsietta C. Edwards who was born 24 March 1898 in Andrew County, Missouri and died February 1987 in Denver, Colorado. Elsie married Gordon E. RUTHERFORD (Sr.) about 1917. Gordon was born 17 April 1896 in Missouri and died December 1986 in Denver, Colorado. They had two children.
Catherine E. Rutherford born December 1919 in Andrew County, Missouri
Gordon E. Rutherford, Jr. born about 1921 most likely in Andrew County, Missouri
ISRAEL KNAPPENBERGER (1842-1916)
Israel was born in 20 April 1842 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 6 September 1916 in Andrew County, Missouri. Israel married MargaretEllen. WELLS, daughter o Francis MarionWells and SarahElizabeth Richards,, on 30 January 1881 in Andrew County, Missouri. Margaret was born 18 June 1861 inAndrew County Missouri and died 1947 inSioux City, Iowa. Israel and Margaret are buried in Bolckow Cemetery, Andrew County, Missouri. After Israel's death, Margaret moved to Sioux City, Iowa where she lived with her daughters, Lillis and Nell. This couple had 4 children.
1. EstellaClaire(aka Stella) Knappenberger was born in25 August 1882 in Andrew County, Missouri and died 3 September 1969 in Harris County, Texas. She married John Laurence BARROW, son of Luther and Mary Barrow, on 25 March 1903 in Andrew County, Missouri. John was born1 April 1874 in Iowa and died 19 November 1952 in Harris County, Texas. In the 1930 census, this family was living in Monroe County, Mississippi. John is buried in Forest Park Cemetery, Houston, Harris County, Texas according to his death certificate. They had two children:
a. Laurence Clay Barrow was born 5 November 1907 in Andrew County, Missouri and died 18 February 1971 in Kerrville, Kerr County, Texas. Heis buried in Cedar Crest Cemetery, Baytown, Harris County, Texas. He married Annie "Ruth" HUDGINS, daughter of Cicero Gregory Hudgins and Emma Shelton. Ruth was born 11 January 1907 in Grimes, Texas and died 25 May 1990 in Gillespie County, Texas. They had a son: Robert Laurence Barrow Ruth had two sons from a previous marriage: Howard and James D. Smith..
b. MaryEleanorn Barrow born 26 September 1913 in Missouri and died 15 January 1973 in Baytown, Harris County, Tex
She never married.
2. Henry Clay Knappenberger(known as Clay) was born 28 March 1886 in Savannah, Andrew County, Missouri and died 7 January 1966 in Blytheville, Mississippi County, Arkansas. In the 1920 census, Henry C. Knappenberger was living in Chickasawba, Mississippi County, Arkansas at the age of 33 and single. In 1939, he was working for the Mississippi Company Electric Cooperative in Blytheville, Arkansas. Henry married late in life in 1952 to VirginiaFEILD (may be FIELD), daughter of Henry Allison Feild and Virginia Warren Capps. Virginia was the widow of Allan WALTON who died in 1919. Virginia and her first husband had a daughter, Virginia F. Walton, who was born about 1905 in Arkansas. Virginia (wife of Henry Clay) was born 21 October 1882 in Tennessee and died 25 October 1969 in Blytheville, Arkanas. Henry and Virginia are buried in Maple Gove Cemetery in Blytheville, Mississippi County, Arkansas No children..
3. Lillis Lucille Knappenberger was born in January 1889 in Andrew County, Missouri and died 28 June 1945 in Olmsted County, Minnesota. In 1920, she was living in Ames City, Iowa where she was single and a college teacher. She lived with her widowed mother and her sister, Nell. It seems that Lillis never married for a telegram was received from her in 1938 with the name "Lillis Knappenberger".
4. Nell Maurine Knappenberger was bor 19 June 1894 in Andrew County, Missouri and died 15 April 1969 in San Francisco, California In 1920, Nell was living in Ames City, Iowa where she was single and a college teacher. She lived with her sister, Lillis, and her widowed mother. About1922,, Nell married Harlan Woodbridge JOHNSON, son of Telemachus Henry and Nellie B. Johnson. Harlan was born 8 November 1891 in Sioux City, Iowa and died 1 February 1970 in Alameda County, California. They had 1 daughter.
a. Joyce Lillis Johnson was born 23 December 1929 in Sioux City, Woodbury County, Iowa and died 30 November 1996 in Oakland, Alameda County, California. She married Marvin Miller GROVE in 1953. Marvin was born 18 November 1931 in Oakland, California and died 11 March 2009 in San Francisco, California. They had a son(Marvin Harlan Grove) and adaughter (Lillie Ellen Grove)..
Thanks to Liilis Grove Stern for her invaluable assistance with this family Updated October 13, 2016.
MICHAEL F. KNAPPENBERGER (1845-1902 (Updated November 2016))
Michael F. (who went by M.F.) was born 20 November 1845 in Westmoreland County, PA and died 20 September 1902 in Jewell County, Kansas. Michael was educated at Lombard College, taught school in Aurora IL, was a principal in Hiawatha, KS, passed the bar, practiced in the Kansas Supreme Court, served two terms in the Kansas Legislature, was chairman of the Kansas Railroad Committee, and was regent of State Normal School. Michael married Caroline Ada BYRAM on 3 November 1875 in Jewell County, Kansas. Caroline was born 3 November 1849 in Knoxville, Knox County, Illinois and died 11 March 1904 in Jewell County, Kansas. They are buried in Wallace, Kansas. They had 3 daughters.
Michael F. Knappenberger,1880s, Jewell City, Kansas
Kansas State Representative
1. Bessie Clair Knappenberger was born 29 February 1880 in Jewell County, Kansas and died in April 1970 in Los Angeles, California. She married Lee FosterGRAMLY, son of Rev. C.H. Gramly and Christy Ann Weber, on 5 August 1905 in Sedgwick County, Kansas. Lee was born 19 June 1876 in Jewell County, Kansas and died 27 September 1946 in El Paso County, Texas. Lee was buried at Ft. Bliss National Cemetery in Texas. This couple had no children.
2. Florence Elizabeth Knappenberger who was born 23 April 1883 in Jewell County, Kansas and died 2 January 1942 in Lebanon, Smith County, Kansas. She married Charles J. ARBUTHNOT, son of Charles M. Arbuthnot and EllenBrown, on 25 December 1907 in Kansas.. Charles was born 2 April 1884 inRepublicl County,Kansas and died in Smith County, Kansas on 4 November 1956. They are buried in Belleville Cemetery, Republic County, Kansas. They had 1 adopted daughter.
a. Elise A. Arbuthnot was born 31 December 1905 in Missouri and died 28 June 1983 in Los Angeles County, California. Elise was born Elise Horstman and was adopted at the age of 12. Elise married Shirley"Edward"d BYLER, son of John L. Byler and Anna C. Blough.Edward was born 21 March 1906 in Missouri and died 12 January 1985 in Los Angeles County, California. They had3 children: Elizabeth Elise Byler, Charles Arbuthnot Byler, and Kenneth Edward Byler.
3. Ada Ruth Knappenberger known as "Ruth" was born 9 September 1884 in Jewell County, Kansas. She died85 January 1954 in San Diego, California. Ruth married James CARBARY on 3 March 1921 in San Diego, California. James was born 12 July 1888 in Muscatine, Iowa and died 19 April 1971 in Los Angeles County, CA. James was a Gunnery Sergeant with the U.S. Marines during World War I. He received the Distinguished Service Cross and Navy Cross for his heroism in France on 12 June 1918. James made a career of the military and was a Captain. Ada and James are both buried at Ft. Rosecrans NationalCemetery, San Diego County, California. No children..
ELIZABETH S. KNAPPENBERGER (1846-c.1873?)
Elizabeth known as "Lizzie" was born 20 December 1845 in Westmoreland County, PA and died about 1873 in Kansas. She married Jonathan Boone ALLEN, son of Lewis Allen and Chloe Casebier, on 5 January 1868 in Andrew County, Missouri. Jonathan was born 5 July 1844 in Andrew County, Missouri and died October 1880. Their three children were raised by Elizabeth's relations since in the 1880 census, children are living with various aunts and uncles. They had 3 children.
1. Gabrilla Allen known as "Gay" was born about 1869 in Brown County, Kansas. In 1880, she was living with her aunt and uncle, Harriet and Nelson Edwards, in Platte Township, Andrew County, Missouri at the age of 11. In 1910 and 1920, she was living with her widowed uncle, Nelson, and keeping house for him at the age of 51 and single (in 1920). Gay may be the mother of Merse Allen, age 22, single and a school teacher listed in the same household in the 1920 census.
2. Charles Lewis Allen, MD was born 28 October 1870 in Kansas. In 1880, he was living with his uncle, Israel Knappenberger (single), and his aunt, Sarah Knappenberger (single), and his grandmother, Hannah Knappenberger in Andrew County, Missouri. He was listed as 10 years old at that time. In the 1920 and 1930 censuses for Cosby, Andrew County, Missouri we find him listed as a medical doctor with his wife Anna Lou KIMBERLIN, daughter of F. Kimberlin and Ruth Halbert. Anna was born 17 September 1873 in Andrew County, MO and died there 16 July 1937. They are buried in Bethel Cemetery in Cosby, Missouri.
3. Britt M. Allen known as "Britty" was born about 1872 in Brown County, Kansas. She was living with her aunt and uncle and grandmother along with her brother [see above] in 1880 in Andrew County, Missouri. She was listed as 8 years old at the time. In the 1910 census for Platte Township, Andrew County, MO, Britt Allen is listed as 36 years of age, single, born in Kansas, living with her Aunt Sarah Knappenberger. We do not know if she ever married.
A biography of Hannah Knappenberger mentions that she had 17 children. A specific name for this child has not been determined nor any specific birth date. In some places, the 17th child is named "Allen" however that name would be highly unusual. Perhaps some researcher have confused his sister Elizabeth's married name (see above) with the name for the 17th child.
If you would like more information or can share further information on this family, please contact us at email@example.com
Francis "Jay" Knappenberger
Kathy Eaton and Don Atwood of Andrew County, Missouri who did invaluable cemetery lookups!
Numerous other family members responded to requests for information and shared their family information for which we are grateful.